Where is your Favorite Lighthouse?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Lighthouse, Aug 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are distinctive lighthouses situated on stunning coastlines throughout the world. Where is your favorite Lighthouse and why? Please post pictures if you have them.

2. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    My personal favorite is a relatively small lighthouse located on the outermost tip of the entry into San Francisco Bay. It is the Point Bonita Lighthouse located in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.

It is just a short distance from San Francisco and is at the end of a short stunning coastal drive through the GGNRA. From the lighthouse one has stunning 360 degree views looking up and down the coast as well as back to the Bay, the Golden Gate Bridge and the city of San Francisco. It is a great location to see both the sunset and the moon rise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey Fiji, if you don't mind, why the change in username? I think it just happened today, right?

jbcarioca and Jubileesmom like this.
  4. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey MSP of course I don't mind. I am extremely fond of scenic coastlines and lighthouses. Yes the name change occurred today and I thought it would be fun to kick off the change with this thread. My avatar from the very start has always been a lighthouse--- in fact it is a photo of the lighthouse I discuss above.

I married my wife at sunset at that lighthouse and honeymooned with her in Fiji so please feel free to refer to me by either name.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    How romantic. That's nice.

I'm not sure what my favorite lighthouse is, but the one I visited most recently, in June, is Split Rock Lighthouse on the MN shore of Lake Superior, about an hour or two north of Duluth. I went during our annual open visiting (free) day at state parks because I had heard a lot about this place but had always driven past the park entrance as I don't pay the annual entrance fee for a vehicle sticker. Its setting is stunning and the history of how it was built (hoisting materials and supplies up the vertical rock from the lake as there was no land access then) and life for the keepers was fascinating. In some ways, this might be considered the jewel of the state historical society attractions. This is well worth doing as a part of any North Shore trip.

jbcarioca, Jubileesmom and Lighthouse like this.
  6. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks MSP,
    Many lighthouses have extremely interesting histories and were built under quite trying circumstances. Are there any pictures of the Split Rock Lighthouse that you feel do it justice that you can attach?

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, but I'm not a photographer. There should be something at www.mnhs.org/splitrock

jbcarioca and Jubileesmom like this.
  8. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.This seems like a good photo. It is quite striking.

[​IMG]

9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, if you drive up to the next town (north), you get lots of views like this. And for those who are fascinated, there are lots of stories of shipwrecks and winter storms in this area.

The square building with the red roof is a small museum now; it had been a storage area and workroom IIRC. The buildings that you see behind the trees are houses built to accommodate lighthousekeepers' families during the season when the lighthouse was operated, roughly March through November of most years IIRC.

You can climb the narrow winding ladder into the top of the lighthouse and see the crystal, mercury, and mechanical turning mechanism. Back in the day, it was important that the components be rotated at a constant speed as this was how ships identified the particular lighthouse that they were seeing.

Jubileesmom, jbcarioca and Lighthouse like this.
  11. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    My earliest recollection of climbing a lighthouse was at the one on Hunting Island State Park near Beaufort, SC.
    [​IMG]

12. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    heceta1.jpg heceta9.jpg
    This is one of them on the left coast. Heceta Head Lighthouse. Florence, OR

13. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    And our own little lighthouse on "Presque Isle", commonly known to us growing up as "The Peninsula"
    Presq28.jpg Presq34.jpg

14. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Portland Head Light (plus the Ft Williams Park that it sets on). Everybody knows about it, if you see a pic you will know it. Plus I grew up about 15 miles form it and every time I go home to visit my mom we make the journey out there for a few minutes. (sorry I have some pics just not on this computer, will try to add some this weekend)

15. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really my favorite, but still important. Lots of people have been putting their time and money into saving the Morris Island Lighthouse (near Charleston, SC) after decades of erosion. Since I'm down at Folly Beach often and walk to a few hundred yards from it often, I'll share a picture from the web. It's now upright and better protected for the decades ahead.
    [​IMG]

Kalboz, duker, Jubileesmom and 3 others like this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of my personal favorites is the Cape Point Lighthouse at the Cape of Good Hope. It is stunningly beautiful there, but the rocks are less photogenic than they are picturesque in real life.
    newlhclose_small.jpg newlhfar.jpg

17. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

In 1999, the 208-foot Cape Hatteras lighthouse was moved 2900 feet. This animated GIF was produced from still shots saved from the webcam. (North Carolina. 60 miles south of Kitty Hawk.)
    http://www.labs.net/anaiselise/lhse/lhse.htm

18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the oldest cities in the Western Hemisphere is Recife (reef), Pernambuco, Brazil. The city itself was founded in 1534, and was deeply involved in the export of sugar and wood from the beginning. Brazil is named after pau-brasil, the only country named after a tree, which was the first major export. Ships regularly foundered upon the reef so various types of lighthouses were tried in the early years.

The one remaining is this one:
    farol-recife.jpg
    It is called "Farol do recife" and here's a link to more information about it:
    http://www.recifeguide.com/fun/recife-lighthouse.html

19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The obvious question is: What lighthouses are there in Fiji? This is one of the most interesting avatar stories. It ranks right up there with Gargoyle.

20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This one is stunning! Would you share more about it with us?

21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know the thread says "where is your favorite...) and I keep posting others. This one is the most interesting one of which I know for several reasons.

1) It may be the oldest working lighthouse in the world;
    2) It's name became the modern Portuguese word for headlights "farol"

Although in Spain today, the lighthouse was called "Farum Brigantium" for all of it's 1900 years until about 100 years ago when it became more commonly known by it's Spanish name. In fact the dominant language of the area, A Coruna, is Galego, the precursor of Portuguese.

I will not bother you with more boring history. Here it is: Farum Brigantium.jpg

22. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is one of many lighthouses in Fiji... but I have been at the top of this particular one...
    Click on the photo to see the detail...

Attached Files:

23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've never really paid attention to lighthouses, but I did see this one in Galle, Sri Lanka.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the base of the lighthouse down some steps:

[​IMG]

24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some more:

the fortress in San Juan, PR has a lighthouse IIRC; there also might be the remains of one among the ruins at the Caribe Hilton.

on Sardinia, in the less posh area, there's a lighthouse in the village just called Il Faro, with a hotel of the same name; I think there's also one in the same area of the island in the conference center complex

as I posted in the Flying with Friends rehab thread, Long Island has lighthouses at Montauk (far north fork, IIRC in a state park), Shelter Island, and one of the Three Villages along the north shore between Stony Brook and Port Jefferson.

Jubileesmom and jbcarioca like this.
  25. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yet more that I think I've seen:

Antibes in southern France

the northwestern coast of Spain

near the Spain-Portugal Atlantic coast border, perhaps in Bayona (spelling?)

the rocky coast of Brittany

near Kennebunkport, Maine

Jubileesmom and jbcarioca like this.