Where Is the Best Place to Buy Flowers for Valentines Day?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by duker, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. duker
    Original Member

duker Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is that time of year -- where do you get the best flowers/roses for the cheapest price?

pearl girl likes this.
  2. lipton
    Original Member

lipton Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on where you live I guess.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Often times the supermarket will be the cheapest, but the quality many not.

Might be a nice touch to get a live plant, but it depends on what you want to convey.

4. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Costco

Captain Oveur likes this.
  5. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. For those of you near a Trader Joe's store, they have some of the best flowers/lowest prices (L.A. area, PHL, NYC - I know of those at least)
    2. Check out the online flower ordering offers via your favorite airline program mall - some great offers there for mileage bonuses (high miles per dollar spent and sometimes bonus miles as well) - verify if delivery is possible for tomorrow, at this time.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  6. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    what he said. or sams club, if you don't have a costco.

travelingmore is also correct, if you have a trader joe's near you, they have some great stuff. we saw some GORGEOUS orchid plants at trader joe's yesterday for $22. amazing.

if you really want to impress, however, spend about $100 for peonies at calyxandcorolla.com. definitely not the cheapest, however, and no miles. ;)

7. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you know to arrange flowers yourself and can spot quality, loose flowers at your local market, warehouse store, or such are the way to go.

If you need someone to do the arranging, it is always good to make friends with a local florist. I've got two I love - one by my office, one by my house - and I stop in regularly enough during the year that they will take care of me during the busy times.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  8. I was also thinking of TJs, having been through there this morning. I was surprised to see some of the very nice flowers they had.

9. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    At this time of the day on the east coast, looking more and more like walgreens or the gas station.

10. pearl girl
    Original Member

pearl girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Buy her pearls instead

duker, techgirl and lili like this.
  11. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say the best place would have been someplace where you got lots of points. But at this late date, TJ's is good.If not roses, get two bouquets that contrast and compliment and something to put them in unless you know she has vases on hand.

I've had Pro Flowers roses delivered overnight several times and they have been far superior to anything at TJs or in the grocery store. It's sort of a do-it-yourself kit with specific instructions and if you follow them the roses will last quite a long time.But they are not inexpensive.

If you're truly needing something inexpensive, one exquisite rose can sometimes be better than a bunch of questionable ones (and attaching a diamond ring or earrings is thoughtful.) However, nothing beats a dozen long stems delivered to her desk so she can be envied by all her co-workers.

Good luck!

cockpitvisit likes this.
  12. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've had some great flowers from ProFlowers in the past... with the exception of around Valentine's Day and Mother's Day (when I've found the price/quality ratio is just not the same). But the rest of the year, they run some very good sales and I've gotten some gorgeous flowers from them.

vickers likes this.
  13. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    if you are in Texas, go to a Central Market to get flowers. They have awesome flowers every day of the week!

techgirl likes this.
  14. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I agree with Costco.

I ordered 3 dozen roses for Mrs Cholula and they were literally picked and shipped from Colombia 3 days ago. I've been tracking them and they just left MEM for ONT and delivery tomorrow. :)

Last time I ordered from Costco the flowers were still fresh 3 weeks after delivery.

Gargoyle and duker like this.
  15. duker
    Original Member

duker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! the day is upon us.

16. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Very much agree... that's my personal flower source for my home/office. I almost always have fresh flowers and their selection is amazing. I am VERY lucky to live a couple blocks from my local CM.

17. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the effect is sometimes magnified if that happens on some other random day of the year as well. And quite often cheaper LOL.

techgirl likes this.
  18. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Ok, granted not the best deal as in lowest price for best flowers but I cannot resist going with FTD through the Continental shopping portal and paying with the Continental Mastercard (25 miles per dollar doubled based on CO Mastercard cardmembership, 50 CO miles per dollar is pretty attractive to me).

noel and duker like this.
  19. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've also used FTD when my wife was out of town and I didn't know the best florist there to use. Agree they aren't a great value, but convenience does cost LOL

20. jeff3380
    Original Member

jeff3380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    if you live in YYZ, the best place is on Avenue Road, just south of Davenport, on the west side of the street. 2 great flower stores there!

21. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and your grocer probably have decent flowers at a cheap price. I prefer a local florist personally, avoiding the 30+ some odd dollars of shipping, taxes, convenience fees, handling fees, service fees, and miscellaneous fees of sites like FTD and 1800Flowers.

cockpitvisit likes this.
  22. chgoeditor
    Original Member

chgoeditor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly, Costco also sells wedding flowers. An example from their site:

$750 40 Piece Wedding Collection includes:

• 1 Bridal bouquet

• 1 Maid of Honor bouquet

• 4 Brides Maid bouquets

• 1 Toss Away bouquet

• 2 Mothers petite hand-tie

• 12 Corsages

• 12 Attendant boutonnieres

• 6 Centerpieces (vases not included)

• 10 Rose Petal buds

$350 20 Piece Wedding Collection includes:
    • 1 Bridal bouquet
    • 2 Brides Maid bouquets
    • 1 Toss Away bouquet
    • 6 Corsages
    • 6 Attendant boutonnieres
    • 3 Centerpieces (vases not included)
    • 1 Rose Petal bud

$230 9 Piece Wedding Collection includes:

• 1 Bridal bouquet

• 2 Brides Maid bouquets

• 2 Corsages

• 4 Attendant boutonnieres

23. The RV
    Original Member

The RV Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wasn’t sure if we were meeting up until the last minute I got it from Shoprite..

24. operaficionado

operaficionado New Member

Status Points:
    If you're in NYC and need an emergency flower delivery service I'd suggest The After Hours Flowers (google them)

They deliver 24/7 and you can get them delivered in less than 2 hours for a fee, even on v-day