Where is a good destination for a one-year leave?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Cosmos Human, Oct 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need advice. I may need to leave the country within the next few months. I'm no dummy and can book my own travel, but besides Israel (I'm Jewish); where else can I go for about one year? BFF says go to Israel, but my Hebrew is pretty poor, but English is wide spoken. I need to "blend in", so I am thinking Netherlands or the UK (Ireland?) I have funds.

No, I'm not running from the law and have done nothing illegal. Just personal issues here that can't be resolved easily.

Booking a one-way ticket is expensive. What is my best option?

Kalboz likes this.
  2. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My housing will be either youth hostels; I have a youth hostel membership or "couch surfing". I am looking at Air B&B; I think it's called that. I am leaning towards Israel right now.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. livefastdiefun

livefastdiefun Silver Member

Status Points:
    youre going to need an extended visa for any stay that is near or over a year - better start doing research of countries that offer year long visas.

in the EU you get 180 days
    india gives you 6 months
    all the countries in SE Asia give you 30 days

visa runs dont really work anymore as alot of countries have restrictions as to how many times you can leave or return to a country in a set amount of time

Kalboz and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The visa requirement is just the tip of the iceberg. My sense is that unless carefully thought out this is not likely to end up well...

5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    you shouldn't have bet the Pats this past weekend. 11 points was a lot!

Kalboz, Andyandy, guberif and 4 others like this.
  6. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend of mine spent a year in Canada because her former employer failed to file some of her paperwork while she was trying to get a green card so she had to spend a year outside of the U.S.

I would like to note that running away from one's problems is rarely a good plan. Just sayin'. As noted above, you'll need a visa for most places and a work permit if you plan to be employed at all.

Getting to Canada is pretty inexpensive, as you can always drive. Same with Mexico. You could probably get enough miles with a credit card bonus to get one-way to europe within the next month or two.

p.s. You can fly for Free on JetBlue if your candidate loses next month . . .

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are LOTS of places in the world where the native language in English. Go to any of them.

There are lots more where you can get by with English and pick up more language while you're there.

8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just move to Miami Beach. I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood, and I had never seen so many Jews when visiting Miami Beach recently.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go to Peru. So many Israeli tourists go there

Kalboz likes this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'd need to give us more information on your interests/etc. Do you like cities or countryside? Warm, cool, water or dry? It sounds like the world is your oyster (subject to leaving periodically to stay within your likely tourist visa limits).

If I could go anywhere for a year to get offline, I'd end up near 20-25 degrees north or 20 degrees south latitude, near a beach...somewhere around the world.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    One-way award ticket? Some airlines offer those.

12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it sure sounds like you're running from the law, or at least civil sanctions of some kind that could reach you within the US but not outside (otherwise, why would you need to leave the country rather than head to a different region). For the sake of discussion, let's assume that it's nothing reprehensible. . .

Your decision is really going to depend on whether you need to work or not. If you do, your options are probably very limited unless you can telecommute. If you don't have access to any kind of work permit (through a college program or family history in a country) you might do better in a less developed country where the economy is less "formal" or in a country where there's a great need for English teachers (eg, north Asia).

It also depends on whether you want to stay put for the entire time (in which case you'll need some kind of residency visa) or whether you're willing to (or interested in) moving around a lot.

If, as you say, you're Jewish then Israel might solve both problems for you since I think you can claim citizenship rights there relatively easily.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hawaii, I know it is not out of the country but it's far enough away from anywhere on the mainland. And if you can't find a room, you can always sleep on the beach.

Kalboz likes this.
  14. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    horrible idea, considering how many vacation there and take pictures. he'll end up in a picture and someone who sees it will go "hey i know that guy!". Two days later, well, you know....

Anyway, back on topic: I really like the following this week:

Saints +6
    Dolphins +3
    Falcons +3
    'Skins +5
    Giants -1
    Bears -7
    Lions -2
    Raiders +2
    Colts +4

15. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your concerns, I am not in any kind of trouble. I want to stay away for very cold weather. I have been invited to Sweden, and can stay one month, but that is in December...brrrrrrr.

I am planning to to go to Dublin, then London...and make my way through Amsterdam (have a place in Sittard-Galeen to stay in and then Berlin (long lost friend) then make my way to Jerusalem to stay).

I have someone to house sit for me and take care of business.

I may just chuck it all and go to Hawaii...

Kalboz likes this.
  16. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear about the personal issues driving you to this. Just to let you know, despite what has been suggested here, you cannot sleep on the beach in Hawai'i-- it's dangerous for a variety of reasons, and in some places, illegal. Also, Hawai'i is a very, very expensive place to live, so do some research on our cost of living before deciding to make this your one year plan.

Whatever you decide, go with a well thought out plan and your eyes wide open. Good luck to you.

Kalboz and miles and smiles like this.
  17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are you planning to do during the year? Learn a language, lots of further travel, study, work? A year of doing nothing sounds depressing to me, and even more so to do nothing while staying in a youth hostel. Where are the best places for your goals?

Not spending the entire year in one place would simplify the visa issues. Also, where you're planning to stay could have limits on how long one person can stay consecutively.

Can you book a RTW ticket? Those can last up to a year from the time of ticketing in general and can be very flexible.

HiIslands likes this.
  18. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Way to be a debbie downer. First, you can sleep on the beach in hawaii, there are many state parks that allow camping. Second, Hawaii, while expensive is not nearly as bad as its reputation. There are plenty of ways to mitigate the costs.

Have you considered iceland? Thanks to the recent Alaska award redemption via Iceland air we know the conversion rate between dollars and kronos is extremely favorable.

Kalboz likes this.
  19. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are seriously misleading this individual with inaccurate information. He is looking for a place to stay for a year.

Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources law: "The maximum length of stay at any one park is 5 consecutive nights. Certain parks or campsites allow shorter maximum stays. After that, you or anyone listed on your permit must wait 30 days before staying overnight again in the same park. Special rules and procedures apply to O'ahu camping. There is no camping available at State Parks on Oahu Wednesday and Thursday nights.

"Hawai'i has adopted one of the nation's severest penalties to discourage people from living on public land, including beaches. Act 50 stipulates that people found illegally occupying public property such as beaches and parks are subject to ejection accompanied by a warning that if they return within a year they face arrest leading to a $1,000 fine and/or 30 days in jail." Source: http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/administrative/index.cfm

20. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:

You're totally right, I was suggesting he sleep on a beach for a year. Caribbean it is, less rules!

Kalboz likes this.
  21. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now, this thread is fascinating. Does anyone remember the original thread title? :)

What does this thread have to do with miles and points? :)

22. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use miles and points to get to the destinations and stay there?

24. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about someplace in the Caribbean? Grand Cayman is amazing... or you could island hop? Plus with all of the cruise ships going in and out of port there are a lot of people so you'll definitely fit in. Also... if you have funds why limit it to only 1 place? Why not take the year and travel to many places? Just my 2 cents.

Kalboz likes this.
  25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does have quite a bit do to with miles and points because we have someone who wishes to find a place to go to live for a year and needs ideas about how to get "there" and stay "there" as affordably as possible, but I think that the suggestions being offered (e.g. Hawaii) completely ignore the OP's particular circumstances as s/he presented them:

I would add to the above "unclear or changing reason for skipping town"...

The way all of this looks to me is that the OP does not have the resources necessary to pull off something that s/he does not even seem to have a clue or thought about how to accomplish. This is someone with limited funds who is trying to go into the unknown...the equation is too sketchy to solve, which is why, when the limited resources are considered, this does not bode well...