WHERE in the world are my bags?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rwoman, Jun 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

Figured I'd share my experience with baggage due to the bump I took Sunday night for my ATL-LHR flight. After I received my vouchers at the gate, the GA stated my bags would be at baggage claim, which I did not think would be the case. I stopped by the DL baggage office and they said my bags were stored at the airport fo my flight the next night - they gave me an amenity kit and I was on my way. Upon returning to the airport, I checked in @ the SP desk and she said my stuff would be on my flight that night, but to double check with the GA. I asked the GA and she said that my bags were brought up and on the plane.

Upon arrival @ LHR, my bags did not come off with all the other priority-tagged bags and it looked like no bags were coming. I went to the baggage desk and they said to check over in a grouping of bags by a pillar between baggage carosels. TADA! My bags had come in the night before on my original flight. It would have been NICE to know this!! I did email DL to point out the discrepancy in my bags' whereabouts. I was not upset and it was not a big deal, but several agents said my bags were in ATL when they were on the other side of the Pond...small details.

:)robin

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can always track your baggage on the website to give you more piece of mind. It is kinda hard to find, but if you search dl.com for baggage on the blog, it will pull up a link

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sounds to me like another example of DL agents lying to their (best) customers. I don't know how airlines got the idea that it's better to lie or make up stuff and not other to check, but I find it very frustrating and annoying. It ultimately costs more as it requires more total agent time, including handling complaints.

4. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought the UK required positive bag match on all flights. I almost misconnected at MSP doing MSY-MSP-LHR, and the agent needed to see my bag tags to allow the handlers to load the bags. (She had to do a lot of work when I showed up, as the system had already IROP rebooked me for the next day but not totally unloaded me.) Seems odd that they'd be able to dispatch your bags while you were spending the night in ATL and were going to make mine sit in MSP if I didn't get on the flight.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    https://www.delta.com/baggage/BaggageTrackStatus.action

MSPeconomist likes this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought bags could not go int'l without their owners...my bags were not locked up @ T4 and they did not ask to see my bag tags...I could have just walked off with them I guess had I seen them when I entered the baggage hall.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the thing that concerns me most when I'm separated from the bags. At least if they're on my flight, I ahve a fighting chance to get to baggage claim before the bags appear, so that if anyone tries to steal them, I see it.

viguera, mtkeller and rwoman like this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad they did come to London Sunday night and did not sit in the heat in ATL...there was Harry & David Moose Munch in there for my co-workers that would have been an edible mess. :) I had happy co-workers today! :D

RV03, DeltaExpert, jmrich1432 and 2 others like this.
  9. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points: