Where in Phuket..

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by colt245, Jan 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am definitely going to Thailand in May, I have sorted the flights and the hotel in Bangkok, but I am unsure where to stay in Phuket, do not want to be in Patong, but I am looking at which other beaches, have heard Katan beach is nice as well as Kamala beach, could anyone recommend a beach to stay on, preferably one that has a good selection of restaurants and shopping as well as other general sites? Mostly going to Phuket to relax (before moving onto Phi Phi and other islands yet to be decided) so don't want crazy/busy, hence why I am avoiding Patong. Still would prefer a place which is relatively lively at night time with enough to keep us entertained.
    Also if you could recommend a good hotel to stay, but one that is reasonable in Price.

Thanks!

Sweet Willie, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    colt245 and uggboy like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We staid at Kamala beach at a small 10* rating on booking.com hotel with about 7 rooms for ~$40 and enjoyed it. We would stay their again. It was off season so the beach was extra quite, but everything was still setup as far as restaurants, massages and beach chairs. But I don't think it fits the bill re: "preferably one that has a good selection of restaurants and shopping as well as other general sites" unless taking the local bus to Phuket for shopping counts. Kamala is really a small town, which was ok with us, it made us think thats what Hawaii must have been like 40-50 years ago. We were VERY happy we staid there when our shuttle headed through Patong on the way to a Ko Phi Phi and we got to see what we were missing from not being in a large town.

colt245, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz and colt245 like this.
  5. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:

Thanks for replies, I had just read Patong was very lively at night with big 'club' scene which we were not really after, we want nice bars and places to eat but will mostly be there to relax and will more than likely go down to Patong in the day, and neighbouring beaches, as we are there for 4 days, iolaire we were planning on going to Koh Phi Phi, how long/how much did it cost you to get there? We had looked at some boats over, but we were unsure whether to go from Phuket to another Island, then onto Koh Phi Phi. We have considered Phuket>Koh Yao Yai (or alternatively Krabi)>Phi Phi.

uggboy likes this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry we did a day trip, we did not stay there. I think the day trip excursion was maybe $70/each, but the snorkeling was VERY bad, so I strongly recommend against even considering the snorkeling as part of the trip, the sights were worth the trip.

colt245 likes this.
  7. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for responding, i'm thinking of doing a day trip to Phang Nga and going canooing, or boat trips around the famous James Bond beach and seeing the caves! Getting a little more excited and organised, still a few hotels and bits and pieces to sort out