Where in Europe These Days Won't Break the Bank?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by anng3, Mar 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Planning a trip to Europe April - June and looking for places to visit that won't break the bank.
    What cities do you love and why that are still affordable?
    Starting out in Spain, already have Prague on the list. Have to do Holland to see the tulips but other than that pretty open.

2. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Iceland was inexpensive and they only take credit cards (everywhere). Post volcano eruption there are several flight+hotel deals and you can stop there to/from states to get to other parts of Europe. You can easily do 3 days in Iceland and hop over to Spain/Prague.

3. rjb
    Original Member

rjb Silver Member

Status Points:
    My early planning for Czech Republic in May seems to show it is still relatively inexpensive

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Germany also has some great deals.

5. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lake Bled in Slovinia isn't really a city but it's beautiful and still very reasonably priced. If you like mountain walks and swimming in crystal clear lakes it's the place for you. There are also locals selling you their homemade Schnapps. As a bonus you fly into Ljubijana which is a lovely city.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  6. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first thing I thought when I saw this thread was Slovenia, as well. It's a gorgeous country with lovely people. The mountains are amazing, the lakes are majestic and Ljubljana is a small but culture rich city. I spent a week there last week and spent 100 euros per night on a hotel that was very nice. I was told is was one of the most expensive ones around but it was a work trip so I wasn't concerned. I'm sure there are many nice places to stay that are less.

I'm not much of a foodie so my meals never seemed to be more than 7 euros. Definitely a huge difference from London or Paris.

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent call! Slovenia is beautiful- and both Ljubljana and Bled are worth a visit.

planeluvr likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find that in some countries I'm much more willing to eat in modest restaurants and sleep in cheap hotels. Germany seems especially good this way because of the fixation on cleanliness, while the hotter climate in southern Europe makes me more careful about food and more insistent on AC that works well.

In general, smaller towns or rural areas are generally cheaper away from big tourist attractions. Weekends can be less expensive in business city hotels, although not necessarily because European hotels tend to do less yield management than in the US except for chains, although there might be high, shoulder, and low seasons with different minimum stay and half/full board requirements around peak times.

9. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a general rule, the further east and/or south one goes on the continent, the lower the costs will be. The exceptions are of course any large metropolis with a major tourism market - you can still find affordable options in Barcelona, Rome, Prague, Budapest or Athens but there's plenty of upscale costs.

My personal choice is Hungary. Budapest alone is well worth a few days to a week but it's even more affordable if you take a train or pick up a car and head to the smaller towns. Actually, my personal choices are just about anywhere east actually. Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, or northeast to the Baltics - Estonia is affordable in comparison to much of the continent and you can even hop over to Helsinki for a day or two for some brief splurging at the start or end of a trip!

10. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning a trip to Poland this summer - from my trip planning research, it seems to be pretty cheap.

11. Blur
    Original Member

Blur Silver Member

Status Points:
    Berlin

Wurm likes this.
  12. LXJenkins
    Original Member

LXJenkins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Generally, the further east you go the cheaper it gets. Prague seems to have been creeping up in price but is still a relative bargain (although the hoard of tourists is a bit annoying).

I highly recommend Poland - particularly Krakow and Wroclaw. Bled, Slovenia is another great recommendation. Pass on the hotels and stay in one of the many B&Bs along the lake (I loved the Pension Pletna) for a great bargain.

13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also Austria has some very reasonable prices.

14. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I completely agree - Berlin has to be the most reasonably-priced "truly-world-class" city in central Europe.

Better still, Berlin can serve as a staging point for trips to many extremely interesting (and still not too expensive) places, including cities of the former East Germany (Dresden, Leipzig, Weimar) and even Prague itself (easy rail or road connection from Dresden).

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Berlin is a fantastic city to visit. I would also add Vienna as it can be very reasonably priced.

Wurm likes this.
  16. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're starting out in spain, then definitely go to Portugal. The whole south-west coast has some amazing beaches and is generally super-cheap. Also if flying in to lisbon you wouldn't have to drive further than 45mins to get to some rural small-towns with great beaches and fantastic seafood. You can rent a small car for a week (miles and full cover insurance included) for less than 100 euros + petrol.