Where Do You Look For Lowest Fares?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by SgtPeppers, Aug 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SgtPeppers
    Original Member

SgtPeppers Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was listening to a podcast by upgdr.com and there was a mention about expertflyer.com to find out the lowest fares.

Besides expertflyer, which is paid, where do you go to find the lowest base airfares?

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    ITA Matrix, which I actually think is easier to use than just about anything else for a regular round-trip if you want to be loyal to an alliance. If you're going to combine carriers, do multi-city trips, or something fancy, then there are some other sites that are better at one or two features. But ITA is still all-around the best.

sobore, SgtPeppers and upgrade like this.
  3. SgtPeppers
    Original Member

SgtPeppers Silver Member

Status Points:
    Scottrick, is there a link, URL for this ITA Matrix? Where can I find about it?

4. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    Old version: https://matrix1.itasoftware.com
    New: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Personally, I prefer the old version (in the same way that cranky old bitheads prefer Emacs to any other text editor of the last 30 years).

goalie and yaychemistry like this.
  5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    ITA Software | milepoint

6. SgtPeppers
    Original Member

SgtPeppers Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks guys.. you are super awesome..

7. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer vim myself.

kayak.com is also half-decent because it shows you the fare-code most of the time. I usually use kayak for a preliminary search because you can cram so many options into it while the UI is still relatively simple.

upgrade likes this.
  8. msny

msny Gold Member

Status Points:
    FareCompare Flyertalk tool. Along with ITA Matrix and Orbitz/Expedia to book.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have specific city pairs in mind and want to see the lowest published fares try http://wandr.me/FlexFare. Sure, I'm biased because I built it, but it should give you a good view of the available fares in a market. If you click on the fare basis in the result set you get the fare rules, too.

Finding seats, on the other hand, is a whole different issue and I generally revert to ITA for that.

If you want the lowest fare that is a W or higher for the sake of using a CO or UA SWU then http://wandr.me/SWUable should have you covered. I can probably alter that to show best fares for markets and not limited to CO/UA nor to W+ fares if folks thought it would be useful, though I also certainly recognize that there are other folks running systems that might be better suited to it.

farhanmehta, upgrade and SC Flier like this.
  10. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another vote for the old version (tho even as a Mac person since 1989, I never liked Emacs ;))

upgrade likes this.
  11. farhanmehta

farhanmehta Active Member

Status Points:
    Do you have something to view the fare rules as well? Btw I love the tools you've built. Will be extremely useful!

SC Flier likes this.
  12. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the passage you quoted:

Wandering Aramean and SC Flier like this.
  13. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Usually I use ita and kayak first. However, a few days ago a friend of mine just asked me to book a reservation for them on cheapoair: SEA-(SFO)-ORD/MDW-DEN-SEA for $200 less $100+ less than all the itineraries that I could have found from ita or kayak. The outbound is on UA and the inbound on Frontiers, and the tickets were issued by UA. They were RT tickets. I still can't figure out why this itinerary was not shown on ita or kayak.

14. farhanmehta

farhanmehta Active Member

Status Points:
    No unfortunately it does not. I get a listing of all the tools available... :(

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like something is broken. I'll take a look.

ETA: Bug identified. Has to do with a UI change I made over the weekend. The fix is uploading now and should be online in about 5 minutes.

ETA2: Some tests I just ran on the production server worked. Looks like we're back in business. :cool: