Where do I transfer my Sapphire Points?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Casey Friday, Jan 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    My current goal is to acquire a Southwest companion pass so that my wife and I can travel often for incredibly cheap (or free). I applied for both cards (pers/biz). I called in today and was approved for the biz card, but was denied for the personal. I spoke with the reconsideration people, and they said I could drop my Sapphire card in order to get the Southwest personal card. I'm willing to do that, but I need to drop my Chase UR points into another program first. Here are my current (relevant) balances:

Sapphire/UR : 66,948

BA : 126,471
    CO/UA : 137,574
    SW : 3,052 (and 100,000 pending)

I'm set on spending $30k on the BA card this year to get the 2-4-1 voucher, so that balance will be at least 171,471 + a 2-4-1 voucher by the end of 2012. We only want to get to London, and as of now, only need 120,000 avios + 2-4-1 voucher for that.

So the decision lies between SW and CO/UA. I'd love to save up enough UA miles to fly us both overseas in first or business (to get the most bang for buck), but having to pay for both tickets, that would likely cost more than 200,000 miles. Adding the UR points to UA would take me over 200k, which would get me very close to that goal.

On the other hand, if I transfer the points into my Southwest balance, I'd have a companion pass + 176,948 points. That would be a LOT of free domestic flying. I love surprising my wife with weekend trips, etc - so this would come in quite handy.

My question is - is there more bang for buck getting free domestic travel for the next year, or getting the next single TATL (or RTW in economy) trip for free? Ideas?

harvson3 likes this.
  2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will certainly get more value per point if you transfer to CO/UA for your overseas flight in first or business. You already have a ton of SW credit, looks like close to $3K worth (especially high since you will be getting BOGO with all your points by using the Companion Pass), so to me it is a clear decision to move the UR points to CO/UA.

Oh such problems we have. ;)

3. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The value ($/pts) of the UA/CO points of course depends on where your aspirational intl. trip in F or J takes you. We just discovered that S. Africa from N. America is only 120,000 RT on J, for example, which beats the cents per points value of SE Asia in Y.

EDIT: Have you confirmed that both the biz and personal SW card bonuses count toward a companion ticket? I have no reason to doubt that; I have just never seen it written down.

Casey Friday likes this.
  4. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope, haven't confirmed it, but I'll officially be everyone's guinea pig. :) I have high hopes.

5. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The best kind of problem to have! Thanks for your input!

6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would transfer the points to Hyatt depending on the rates in London. 66K UR points = 66K Hyatt GP points which can be used for 3 nights at the HR London Churchill.

Casey Friday likes this.
  7. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally I would put the miles in UA to get to an amount that gives you enough flexibility to do what ever you chose to do with it.

Avios is a great program for domestic short haul (if AA has a direct flight) but you got enough BA points for that so that is not an option.

It seems that in SW you will have enough to do whatever you want.

So in the name of diversification go to UA.

Casey Friday likes this.
  8. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I transferred my Sapphire and Amex points to Continental.

Casey Friday likes this.