Where did the milesaver awards go for Europe.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Gary72, Aug 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. As of yesterday ALL milesaver (30,000 mile) awards have disappeared if you want to cross the Atlantic, the only exception being this morning, I saw three mid May dates for London. As of two days ago, regularly there were 1-5 seats going almost anywhere. They would at least be available for a day or so and sometimes much longer....

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just searched a 1 month period in Oct-Nov:

ORD-BUD has 12 days outbound and 10 days inbound available at milesAAver rates
    LAX-LHR has 8 days outbound and 18 days inbound available at milesAAver rates
    SEA-CDG has 13 days outbound and 12 days inbound available at milesAAver rates
    These don't even count the options available with BA/IB/MA/AY through calling AA.

Needless to say, I think your post might be a bit of an exaggeration. ;)

Are you looking for specific dates? A specific route and destination? Perhaps we can assist you with tracking down some options. There are lots of people who are pretty good at this.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    London, June 2012 = Olympics added demand for those not even travelling to the Games to redeem pre or after the big event add the proliferation of "travel experts" who have popped lately with "super inside information" :) now trumpeting that seats need to be redeemed 320 days out ..seats logically harder to secure.

4. My post referred to milesavers from May 10-July 1...Milesaver awards were available daily (even if for a brief time) until yesterday...

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The London Olympics are actually at the end of July from what I remember, but that's still high traffic season to Europe. Looks like almost no milesAAvers are open on the website, though I did see a few seats in that time frame into BRU/HEL/FRA/MXP, all in late May. Nothing going out of Europe in the low tier though.

Have you tried calling AA to see if there is space available on BA/IB/AY/MA? Also, seats might open up as time goes on.

6. Thanks...It was not for me, but a friend. I fortnately was able to nab three roundtrips in early, mid June...I believe she called and got the reply there was nothing available...

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    One other thing you might be running into here is that AA has be loading Milsaaver awards to popular destinations such as CDG, FCO, MAD some two weeks or more later than the 331 day commonly accepted advance time frame.

If you can find the last day inventory is available and then check the next day and discover that some avaliblity shows up then you can pick up the lead time pattern.

8. tjbrooks

tjbrooks Silver Member

Status Points:
    They were releasing 331 days out, daily, as of 2 days ago, well at least for LHR/DUB. All partners showing nothing in June too. Including CDG on TN.

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might have noticed that I didnt list LHR above :) The number of daily flights to that destination are significant multiples of those I listed.

June .. busy month anyway and if you are not planning to go the Olympics another European destination seems more attractivem No?:)

10. tjbrooks

tjbrooks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Friend's wedding is two weeks before the Olympics. Otherwise no way we'd be going then. July is the one month where there's no football!

11. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm of the opinion that there's very likely fire causing this particular smoke. I'd be quite curious to see what illumination AmericanAirlines can provide at this point. My personal, uninformed belief is that this is not a glitch nor a temporary situation-- at least not exclusively. Would be curious to see what can or can't be shared with the membership at this juncture.

justageek likes this.
  12. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just looked 2 min. ago on EF for June 20/21 JFK-LHR and there are a couple of Z class seats available both days. Nothing in T or U. Don't know if that's significant or not.

13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I vote for not.:)
    EF inventory shown for 07/02/12 for example MIA/LHR, MIA/CDG, MIA/MAD are all not bookable on aa.com

14. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    7/21 and 7/22 both have Z seats bookable on aa.com - both JFK-LHR and ORD-LHR, both days.

EDITED: Doh. I meant 6/21 and 6/22 - as in June, not July. July is too far out. Apologies.

15. I'm having the same issue. I booked a one-way award to London for 6/23/2012 and am waiting to book the return flight when the windo opens on Saturday for 7/10/2012. I've checked the last few days and there are no 30k mile awards available, even as the new booking day opens up. I called AAdvantage and asked the rep about it. She said they just booked quickly and that they had "likely" been available. I explained that I checked at 5:00 am and there was nothing for 30k which is unusual. She suggested I try after midnight. I need to book this Saturday which could turn into a real problem since I think I tapped out miles for purchase for a family member. I'd like to know if anyone else gets any other infor from AAdvantage.

16. Now way were they every available for any date in June or July since Wednesday evening when they were all pulled. I suspect the AA agent is just winging it rather than espousing any official excuse or reason.

17. justageek
    Original Member

justageek Active Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, as JonNYC alluded to, this is one of those situations where it would be great to get an official comment from AmericanAirlines. Glitch, policy change, who knows -- but it would be great to know.

18. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    It does seem like AA is managing milesaver inventory differently than they have in the past - choosing markets and wholesale blocking milesaver inventory on some specific routes. I had a problem with a domestic route - ORD-LAX and got two supervisors deep only to be told "gee, this does seem strange - i can't find anything either and i always have in the past."

Other routes are wide open - I needed five tickets to Hawaii in high season and had my pick of itineraries without even having to access the 'expanded exp inventory'!

19. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure you meant July 2012? AFAIK, only dates for the first few days of July 2012 are loaded so far (i.e., through July 4, 2012 as of today - 330 days from today).

20. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, typos. I meant 6/21-22/12. I've edited the post above.

21. Contacted an AAdvantage agent today again today regarding the 30k awards. He said that there is limited inventory for Milesaver travel and may not be available on the dates I need. I told him I checked several European destinations and there was nothing available for Milesaver. He put me on hold a very long time and came back to say he could book me on another airline using my 30k award. I hadn't asked him to try and find me a flight, I had asked about the 30k awards. Besides I needed 2 seats, not one and when I told him this he became a little short with me. I'm very frustrated because I have a one way trip booked to London and need a return flight using my 30k award and don't want to pay a small fortune. American Airlines...if you're monitoring this forum, please explain what's going on.

22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Reports posted elsewhere on the web today showing that some inventory is returning.....

23. I have seen today some milesaver awards from states to Europe up through June 18 return as of this morning. Still nothing after June 18 that I have found, though I have not done an exhaustive search...

24. sk3

sk3 Active Member

Status Points:
    As reported on FT the 'T' availability is once more showing post May 19th for various European destinations.

I just checked a few routes and I see lots of 'T', and 'U' for that matter, for JFK-MAD and JFK-CDG loaded up until Jun 23, and lots of inventory loaded for the respective returns until Jun 24.

For ORD-FCO and JFK-FCO (and their returns) I'm also once again seeing lots of 'T' inventory loaded up until Jun 19 for the outbound and Jun 20 for the returns. But on this route still no 'U' inventory.

I've tracked these FCO routes for years and back in March AA stopped their "historic" load in pattern for MileSAAvers in business class ('U' seats). I emailed AA regarding this and received a reply, I shared this correspondence on FT:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16054041-post629.html

I could understand AA limiting their MileSAAvers (in Y, J or F) if the AAdvantage member DIDN'T have the option of using their AA miles for Partner airlines, because then the pax would be forced to use their miles on AAnytime awards which would increase AA's revenue. But since we DO have the option of several other carriers what's in it for AA?

More to the point, my specific question to AA if your rep can kindly answer us here is: how does AA benefit from denying us the choice to use our 50k AA miles to fly on AA metal in J to Rome when we can use these same 50k miles to fly in J on one of the partner airlines?

25. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suppose its your divine right to ask the above questions... but surely you coud'nt possibly expect any a sort of reasoned answer.:rolleyes:

1) First off the participation of American Airlines on these boards is essentially in a PR role no more no less.
    2) Point me to one single instance where any airline, I repeat any aIrline divulged the reasoning and/or methodology of such a dynamic process as the release of award inventory.
    3) The current situation is in a way to early a stage to draw any real conclusions.

And all this begs question why not fly an AA partner and be done with it? :)