Where Are Your Stress Points?

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by IMGone, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find that just approaching the security area, I'll tense up having to deal with the BS and attitude of the TSOs. You never know whether they are in a yelling mood, what to handle your property, not give you access to your belongings per their own SOP, etc. Once through, I am immediately more relaxed and have less issues and very limited stress dealing with the airline employees or actual flight, even when irregular operations abound.

Given TSAs BDO program, I would say this highlights how totally useless their program is as they have created the stressful situation, and the stress factors that someone may exhibit in the screening area are more a self-fulfilling prophecy than any valid indicator of a threat to aviation security.

At what point do you experience the most stress when travelling?

East_Yorker likes this.
  2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I seem to Get stressed when approach the airport.. Dealing with yelling clerks, as well as having to opt-out is a real pain. Part of the stress also come from the pax. Everybody is in such a hurry to get through, that you have to rush through, while maintaining an eye on your property, etc..

3. JFW
    Original Member

JFW Silver Member

Status Points:
    My big stress is always whether or not I can find a checkpoint and then a lane that only has the WTMD. Once I can do that, I tend to ease up and breeze through.

If I can't, then it gets into the whole game of "can I time it so that I don't get selected/will my "shoulder injury" excuse work this time/will I have to opt out and take the grope?" mindset, and that doesn't let up until I'm through and on my way to the gate.

AmericanGirl likes this.
  4. essxjay
    Original Member

essxjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    My biggest stress is a toss up between the security of my laptop and my sense of personal dignity. Maintaining constant possession of one's means of communication as well as sole tool of the trade is everything when you're self-employed -- no laptop >> no ability to work >> immediate loss of income; simple as that. The choice between WBI and OptOut is no real choice at all since the violation of liberty is equal in the end.

2soonold likes this.
  5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can honestly say I am more stressed going through the checkpoint than I am about canceled flights and/or delays.

Getting emotional and ready for a fight is probably the worst thing you can do. That is, unless, you are looking to pick a fight.

What I do is that I take a deep breath before going through a checkpoint. That's big. Then I remember there's a good chance most of these TSA folks executing the SOP either don't like it themselves and/or sympathize with us passengers.

But again, the big thing, just take a deep breath before going into the process (and out of sight of any screeners, as they might think you're up to something). It really does help.

kiwi likes this.
  6. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most Stressfull Part of Traveling - Security of any kind - Customers, Immigration, TSA, etc

7. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me the most stressful part of traveling (second, of course, to spending 13 hours in an aluminum tube) is waiting on a line. I don't care if it is a TSA line, a check-in line, or a line to get a meal at some restaurant in the food court.

I can always avoid the food court line by going to one of the restaurants with waiter service and DL Medallion status gets me out of the longest check-in lines, but even the DYKWIA lines for the TSA tend to be long ones.

The worst nightmare, for me, is flying into ATL. Okay, Security in TLV is a breeze -- if you check in at a Biz Elite or FC counter you go straight to the head of of the Security line and there are very few people flying Biz Elite. Passport Control is also a quickie as I have a biometeric card that let's me in and out of the country by spending a few seconds at a machine.

Then, however, I have the dreaded 13 hours in the aluminum tube. When I arrive in ATL, even if I am the first out of the door, I find myself in a very long line for Immigration. As everyone arriving in ATL from overseas has to go through the TSA line (even if he is not taking a connecting flight!) that one can be a real PITA. It has been made worse, of course, by additions such as taking off your belt, removing your liquid bags, and going shoeless -- all of which make the lines go slower.

The Nude-o-Scopes and the "enhanced" pat downs really accomplish little beyond causing further delays.

The worst line I have run into, however, is the one for a taxi in LAS. I have only tried it once and that was in nice weather. I will be facing it again in late February and do not look forward to freezing my fern off. [​IMG]

8. aerodynamik
    Original Member

aerodynamik Active Member

Status Points:
    Definitely US immigration is often stressing me out. Especially when I travel to the US for private reasons, planning to stay more than 3-4 weeks. I get often asked a lot and sometimes have to go to secondary immigration, since I go there quite often for business and vacation. Never got into any real troubles, but the thought of not being allowed in, with many plans, meeting or pre-booked hotels, makes me nervous.

Since I never think that security checks or a TSO could actually cancel my travel plans, this part makes me not nervous at all. But I understand your point, these guys can get quite loud and make the whole thing appear like a drill. My favorite security is still first class security in MUC at T2.

East_Yorker likes this.
  9. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Traveling with Mr Sophie! I follow such a routine to get through ticketing, TSA, boarding, et al that to have someone else along throws it off....plus he is a travel worrier, with all that encompasses. He is also 6 7" - so all of the seat selection issues come into play, too.

AmericanGirl likes this.
  10. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    On Friday evening on a busy weekend, this is definitely the worst line I have ever had to stand in. I think I've seen some worse ones in other situations, but thankfully I was able to use the DYKWIA line then. No status for LAS taxis. :(

11. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    OMG - I so agree with this and since rentals are pretty cheap there, and parking free I've gotten into the habit of renting a car. It's usually about the same as the roundtrip taxi ride and between those rude SOBs managing the line ;) and the length and time it takes to process the line, getting the rental and just going is almost a relief.
    My apologies, but I have to admit when I first read this and I saw the avatar, my first thought was that you were talking about traveling with your pet :D ... I figured it out soon enough, but ... oops!

sophiegirl likes this.
  12. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not, alas, for me. I have to buy it with all the insurance and having an Israeli driving license seems to add about 500% onto the price. I will be there for a week and a compact would cost me $422. Even if I just want it for a day it still would run $108. [​IMG]

lisamcgu and Skyvillager like this.
  13. Usually -- traffic getting to the airport (depending on the city, of course). With respect to TSA etc, hoping the NoS aren't being used that day and anticipating what type of attitude I'll get by opting out. Of course, the TSA doc checkers who get confused by US passport cards are always a pleasure.

Beyond that, infrequent travelers during the summer and around other holidays -- not all of them but things like a group of 6 (walking side-by-side, of course) that comes to a dead stop in the middle of the concourse as if there's nobody else around. As others have mentioned, the lines aren't all that great either, but I see that as just part of being in an airport 2-3 trips per week.

14. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    My apologies, but I have to admit when I first read this and I saw the avatar, my first thought was that you were talking about traveling with your pet :D ... I figured it out soon enough, but ... oops!

well, i am making Mr sophie sound worse than he is...but there ARE times when i wish i had brought the "real" sophie and left the Mr. at home!

15. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, I always seem to have a meeting that ends about 15 minutes after I should be on my way to the airport to come home. That can really add to the stress level as a violate multiple speed limits to get to the airport.

Once at the airport (domestically), I just get into my groove. The Nude-O-Scope threw me for a while, but now I'm just prepared for the grope (Backscatter) or to walk on through (MMW) and get on with life. As long as it's expected, I can deal--that doesn't mean I like it, but dislike and stress are two different things.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I generally prefer to get early to the airport to avoid any situations where unexpected delays/waits would cause me stress (or worse, a missed flight). Since I almost always travel for leisure, the trips are fun and I try not to let security/checkin/boarding hassles cause me to take away from the fun. While I will not go through the new scanners, the thought of picking the wrong line and/or having bad timing and as a result having to opt out doesn't cause me much stress.

East_Yorker likes this.
  17. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    Immigration stresses me the most when I'm going to another country for work.

After that I always wonder what the X-Ray operator will see and make a big deal out of. Today the x-ray person said she saw baby supplies. The sup looks at my toiletries (which are 4 oz bottles) and asks if it's lotion and says I'm OK and then made fun of the x-ray lady for suggesting my refillable bottles (which are contoured) are baby bottles.

18. Lucky
    Original Member

Lucky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Security? That's nothin'. Only stress for me at an airport is sweating out a bump -- once they tell you they'll probably need you, though suggest you stick around the boarding area just in case of no shows.

19. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    Deciding how to get to the airport gives me the most agida.

Given that I take NYC public transit & have to make at least 2 if not more connections, I'm always second guessing the decision of which route to take & the start time. Throw in bitter cold winds while standing at a bus stop and that also impacts the mix.

Typically I fly UA out of LGA and for the most part find security to be stress free. Lines are short, there are no Nude-O-Scopes (yet...) and thankfully, the TSO's never seem to be too overzealous.

20. Zinzan
    Original Member

Zinzan Active Member

Status Points:
    Stress points? Anything that involves queueing (for more than three or four minutes), in general, and having to remove shoes and/or belt in particular.[​IMG]

21. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    My biggest stress is the loss of personal privacy being subjected to the "nude-o-scopes" or the personal fondling if I am not in the mood to be "scoped".

Why can't they have a FF card that requires a background check for those who travel alot?

22. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pissy has talked about having a card like that, but AFAIK, nothing has been discussed/further done.. :rolleyes:

23. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting to the airport.
    I go into airplane mode several hours before the flight totally focused on gettting there, but once I'm actually in the airport nothing much bothers me. (That sounds sick!)
    Well, if I'm still waitlisted for an upgrade I get a bit stressed.

24. lipton
    Original Member

lipton Gold Member

Status Points:
    My personal stress point is, when they check my bags - I never use the little bag for liquids. Every single time it thrills me to see wether they say something (they hardly ever do) or just let my bags skip thru just like that. Of course I could use the little bag but its to much effort putting everything into that bag and later getting it all out again....

Exiled in Express and Mangy like this.
  25. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm with you on this.