Where are United frequent-fliers cashing in their miles for?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sobore, Sep 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/...nt-fliers-cashing-in-their-miles-for/841127/1

[​IMG]

San Francisco is a hit among United frequent-fliers.
    That's according to destination information released by the airline that shows San Francisco was the top "Saver" frequent-flier award destination booked this summer out of four of the airline's 10 hub cities.

The information from United follows on the heels of a new ad campaign that the airline launched last weekend in which it touts its availability of low-mileage frequent-flier award tickets.
    Scroll down to see what United says have been its most popular destinations booked from each of its hubs this summer on Saver award tickets. The list includes tickets redeemed during a period beginning June 1 and running through Aug. 15.

Originating hub/Top Saver-Award Destination City
    Originating hub: Chicago
    Top destination: San Francisco

Originating hub: Cleveland
    Top destination: Los Angeles

Originating hub: Denver

Originating hub: Guam
    Top destination: Manila, Philippines

Originating hub: Houston
    Top destination: Newark

Originating hub: Los Angeles
    Top destination: Maui

Originating hub: Newark

Originating hub: Tokyo
    Top destination: Honolulu

Originating hub: Washington

Read More: http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/...nt-fliers-cashing-in-their-miles-for/841127/1

8MiHi, DCA Rob, mht_flyer and 2 others like this.
  2. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume the weekend when everyone redeemed (four) miles for a trip to HKG is not in the sample period.

snod08, spgExplorer, edekba and 8 others like this.
  3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought there were 10 hubs?

My miles this year have gone for Dubai, Zurich, Luxembourg, Singapore, Pohnpei, and Seychelles, so I guess I'm just weird.

iolaire likes this.
  4. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm taking my account severely down with two tickets to KTM
    via DOH in QR C in January.

5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the way you think. My trip to SEZ is also via DOH on QR C.

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Originating hub: Cleveland
    Top destination: Anywhere

snod08, LizzyDragon84, Ygor and 2 others like this.
  7. Yavamos

Yavamos Active Member

Status Points:
    Best use this year? A terrific and memorable family gathering at Tradewinds Grand Island Resort on St. Pete Beach, all suites booked with miles and worth every one... still smiling with the memories!

snod08 likes this.
  8. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only redemption for me this year was coming home from Bali, DPS-BKK-ZRH-YUL-EWR. It was definitely a trip I'll never forget as it was my wife's and my first time in int'l F.

9. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Used miles to book IAH-DUS via FRA on LH A380. Last fall used miles for IAH-SFO-SYD. I have real issues with using miles for domestic tickets when with a little research and creative routing I can get from IAH (or nearby) to anywhere I want to go.

10. flydonkey

flydonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    My UA miles use this year:
    May 2012 - LAX-LIH round trip in UA Y for me & SO
    Dec 2012 - used miles to book a few random hotel nights @ MIA & LHR (I know, airline mile usage heresy)
    Jan 2013 - LHR-ZRH-MIA in LX C for Mom

Also plan to redeem for some intra-Asia flights next May.

11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use min exclusively between SJO and BOG or MDE.
    Cost of purchased economy ticket: MDE $738 / BOG $909
    Miles required to redeem: 20,000 RT to either

One exception. Copa had a fare sale one time this year, so I purchased a RT to BOG for $535 and was upgraded on the return. Otherwise, Colombia is the best ROI for my mileage redemption, as my girlfriend lives in BOG and I go there once every 2 or 3 weeks.

I also have a LifeMiles CC and can get the same deal on Taca. Taca will also let me combine miles and money to upgrade, and the run fairly regular 2 x 1 mile sales that make the miles cost $0.015 each. Better yet, their flights are non-stop while Copa makes me connect at PTY. Sweet.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  12. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked PIT-EWR-NRT,HND-SIN-DAC,DAC-BKK-MXP-EWR-PIT for me and my wife. That was a pretty good 240k for business class.

Ygor and KenInEscazu like this.
  13. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This last year I did a one-way SFO-FRA (A380 in F)-HKG (business) and was charged only for the SFO-HKG mileage in F. Rather odd routing but I had the time and I wanted to fly my second A380 carrier (had previously flown Qantas). Had a nice lunch in the first class terminal in FRA during my layover of a couple hours. I came home in Cathay F using AA miles.

Second trip was SFO-FRA-TXL (Berlin) RT in business. Still have some miles to burn off since I'm not buying UA tickets this year due to changes in 1MM.

ducster likes this.
  14. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even DTW? :D

macbookguy likes this.
  15. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being from Detroit and living in Ohio now I think I can say this...

the pilot is Satan and the co-pilot is SMI/J... i think it's flight 666...

Flyer1976 and Ygor like this.
  16. lovemonet

lovemonet Member

Status Points:
    Using UA miles over Christmas to fly first class from MCO-IAD-PEK-SGN and return first class BKK-NRT-IAD-MCO.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  17. uadlflyer

uadlflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. sfo-muc-fra-jnb-lvi (destination) (3 weeks including safari in Kruger and Etosha)/wdh-jnb-zrh-vie-sof (stop for 2 weeks)-fra-sfo for 150K miles in F. Included LH 346 new F, LH 380F, LX F, UA F. One day when I have time I may even write a trip report.

2. sfo-hkg-sfo for 4 miles in July (yes, I was one of them).

3. Also looking forward to sfo-hkg-sin-mle-sin-icn-sfo in SQ F in Dec for 140K UA miles

Flyer1976 likes this.
  18. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    No domestic redemptions, although I'm tempted to do some for Thanksgiving this year with SFO-EWR fares way up there.

Just did 4 tickets SFO-EWR-ARN roundtrip in Y, all on UA. Stopover in EWR allowed our kids to spend a couple of days seeing their grandparents.

In Feb EWR-BCN in C. Came home BCN-LHR-SFO in BA F, which was nice, although I like LH F better (I feel a little like a dou--e for even saying that last clause.

In December, I used my miles for 2 of us SFO-SEA-FRA-TLV in LH F (C on last leg). Nice to have a few hours in SEA to find a good croissant, then a 12 hour layover in FRA to explore the Xmas market and have the best hot dog of my life. Not to mention the FCT :). Return TLV-ZRH-LHR in LX C, but they substituted the equipment, and we got stuck in Euro Biz on both legs :(. After a 3-day layover in LHR, UA F LHR-SFO, which was pretty nice.

And just a little more than a year ago, SFO-FRA-BCN and back in LH F.

So a good 14 months for redemptions, but nothing else planned as of now. I do have to say that if UA has one thing going for it, it's great availability of multiple award tickets to a wide range of destinations.

19. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    3 saver business awards for goalie-parents & goalie-aunt MIA-FRA-CDG (LH)/CDG-ZRH-MIA (LX) for April-May, 2013 (and now just hoping that saver C opens on the outbound MIA-ZRH-CDG on LX ;))

20. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see a lot more MIA-ZRH LX business saver awards then any other LX route to ZRH. Best of luck;)

21. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just changed my routing as Thai opened up first class. Now we are on: PIT-EWR-NRT,HND-SIN-DAC,DAC-BKK-BRU-EWR-PIT with a thai first class segment BKK-BRU. The United pricing computer has several problems with this routing and after two hours of supervisor to supervisor talk, the agent had to manual override the computer and manual price the ticket. The end result is that I am still on a business class award, but I have a ticket with a first class segment. Do you guys think that will be a problem?

22. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fly my parents to see my grandparents as often as my miles will allow.

23. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's wide open every day of the week except their day of travel (and I can't get them to go a day earlier or later)

24. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting and also explains why I have a hard time finding seats between SFO-IAD, or for that matter, SFO to anywhere given the double-whammy of UA's hub here (with millions of MP members) and attraction of SFO as a destination for everyone else :)

In the old days I used to redeem for international travel but since 2006 have found no advance saver award inventory for TATL/TPAC business class - and thus better options using BA 2-for-1 cert and AA miles. So my last redemption was for a couple of last minute F transcons and for 4 tix SFO-CUN in E+ during peak holiday season. Not necessarily the best value per mile, but saved me $$$ out-of-pocket.

25. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    SFO-MFR one-way (paid fare $400+)
    SFO-RNO one-way (paid fare $200+)
    SFO-LAX last-minute one-ways incl. wife (paid fare $180)
    SFO-CHA via CLT in US F to CLT, one-way
    YYZ-SFO in AC J, one-way
    SFO-SIN via ICN in SQ F, one-way
    SIN-SFO via EWR in SQ C and UA domestic F, one-way
    BRU-FRA-MCO-PHX in LH C and F, US dom F one-way
    SFO-LHR/BRU-FRA-MCO-PHX (stop) - SFO in UA F, LH C and F, US dom F, UA dom F round-trip, wife

Note almost everything is one-way - one reason I find the DL and US programs very marginal. Also, for 10K miles I get great redemptions for short-distance coach one-ways to regional destinations where the paid fare is $200 to $400.

Flyer1976 likes this.