When will mobile operators understand that 5GB is not of this time?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by ScottC, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Is 5GB enough for you?

1. Yes - I never use that much

42.4%
  2. No - when I travel, I regularly go over that

57.6%
  1. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Almost all mobile operators think that 5GB is enough for everyone - and as their speeds have increased, their data limits have not. T-Mobile will soon release a 42mbps USB adapter, and at those download speeds you could theoretically burn through your entire 5GB pool in 43 minutes.

They advertise "4G", they show video calls, movie streaming and more - but they don't seem to understand that people might actually use those services.

As prices go up, so should the amount of data we can use - 10GB should be the minimum.

Thoughs?

2. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree with you. Though its not different than comcast, who sells me a 100mbit, but caps me at 250GB/month. I can do that in less than a quarter of a day, and its a monthly allotment.

5GB isn't really that unreasonable of a limit, however, 2GB that AT&T is playing around with is crazy.

I also find that in many parts of the world, getting any sort of decent speed over mobile networks is fruitless.

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I agree. I live in a rural location, no cable or dsl, so I use a Sprint 4G plugged into a router, shared with several family members. I used to use AT&T 3G, with the 5gb limit, I had to watch it like a hawk. Sprint is giving me unlimited 4G, but the first six months it was very unreliable. When the 4G antenna got foggy it would drop to 3G, and they do have a 5GB limit on the 3G portion of the service. I ran over 3GB a number of times in that period, it made me quite uncomfortable.

I still remind wife, daughter to avoid youtube, hulu, etc, just to be safe, and when people send me big files (clients often send me 12 mg of graphics) I save it till my next trip to Panera, just to be safe.

5GB is just 179 mb/day, that isn't very much.

Chimpy likes this.
  4. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    So hard to imagine that there are plenty of places in the country without access to decent broadband. Such a shame you have to resort to wireless just to get online...

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Until two years ago I was using IDSL. That's a step above ISDN- 144k symmetrical through the pots line, cost me $135/month. Too many trees around here for reliable satellite, and dialup just wouldn't cut it.

And I'm just 40 minutes from ORD.

6. mjm

mjm

In Tokyo it seems to be a bit better. We have good speeds on moboile and landlines. And costs for home lines is cheap when bundled with phone line transmitted TV programs whgich are crystal clear.

7. mjm

mjm

I posted about the 1500yen (about $15 a day) rate for unlimited data I can pay Softbank in Tokyo when roaming in the US. If I do 4-5 trips a year at 5 days per trip I feel it is not bad. Thoughts?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say that $15/day for unlimited in the US is quite high priced.

I also think that 5GB is actually a reasonable limit for most folks. Yes, you can go over it in a theoretical 42 minutes or whatever but you're never going to get that sustained performance and you're also unlikely to be using it in a maxed out manner all the time. If you use it to stream a couple hours of video every night then the 5GB limit is a problem. But I rarely go over 200-250MB/day, even when I'm international and that's my only data source, but I'm also not streaming media.

I think that makes the difference.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  9. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't stream video or music on my phone, but even with email, Twitter and RSS I usually end dangerously close to 5GB. What annoys me most, is that my data plan originally started off as 10GB on the T-Mobile G1, then they all lowered them to 5GB. I've passed 5GB several times, and they simply limit me to EDGE Speeds, which makes the phone unusable. There is no option to pay more to get more data, once you pass 5GB, it just becomes unusable.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. mjm

mjm

If I use it in place of the Laptop it goes up. But at holidays when I am doing more family styuff usage is lower. I am still feeling around to dsee if $15 is high.

11. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd take the $15 a day compared to what I currently pay now when in the US! :eek: Is that available on a prepaid plan with Softbank? (or can non-residents sign up?)

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just checked my iPhone 4's usage data, and it claims I have received 6.7 GB of data since I bought it (last year August). I consider myself a very connected user who is constantly checking email, RSS feeds, and occasionally even listens to streaming radio over 3G. Oh, and MyWi hotspot functionality occasionally as well. So I guess I am not at risk of running over the limit if I had one (I don't).

When they first removed the unlimited plan, I was "up in arms" myself, but when I looked into my actual consumption (even when traveling abroad where it sometimes is my only option), I came to the conclusion that it wasn't a big deal for me. If I was spending time watching Netflix on the way from/to work every day, I might think differently, but given the quality of the AT&T network I would just use ripped content to ensure consistent quality.

adambadam likes this.
  13. gomike
    Original Member

gomike Silver Member

Status Points:
    5GB is totally unreasonable, yes speeds are getting faster. It wont be long till prices drop and limits are raised. I much prefer the networks that just slow you down after 5GB rather than charge you more.

14. Tummy

Tummy Active Member

Status Points:
    I use to tether my iPhone 3GS and I am probably one of the reasons there are now data caps. When I traveled more often, I would stream Netflix, download tv shows, etc... Using around 28gb/month.

15. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have unlimited internet with my Orange iphone tariff. My total phone bill is €67 per month with rollover. :)

16. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    5GB is a joke now days. For my useage 20GB does not suffice.

17. Rich
    Original Member

Rich Silver Member

Status Points:
    Currently, I am in no danger of hitting such a threshold on my phone. However, if I was to have 4G service that worked reliably (or even 3G service that worked well at my gym), I would probably do more SlingBox streaming on my phone as well as Netflix streaming.

I still have an unlimited data plan and plan on keeping it until I either change carriers or AT&T decides I can't have it any more.

Where I run into risk of going over my data allowance is with my 3G USB modem. I'm allowed 5GB/month and I've had to suspend usage a few times to avoid overages.

cockpitvisit likes this.
  18. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    On a related subject - just how precise are the Rover coverage maps? I live one-half block from a blue area on their coverage map. I realize that the Stick or Puck will not work if it cannot pick up the 4G signal, but I wonder how close you really have to be?

19. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wholeheartedly agree with this topic. When you have the speed to kill your entire monthly allotment in an hour or two, that's a problem. The advertising for these products is full of references to streaming HD video and other high-bandwidth uses, yet ignores the fact that you would have to pay obscenely to actually do this with any frequency.

20. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of 4G services are simply fast 3G services branded as 4G.

Gargoyle likes this.
  21. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    When my 4G goes down it reverts to 3G, and I can note a significant difference.
    The first few months I had the 4G the times were slow; 1 mg d/l, 150 k u/l, but now I'm generally getting 2 to 3 mg symmetrical.

joesmoe and JSpira like this.
  22. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right, but 2 or 3 Mbps is not 4G. It's fast 3G. The 4G is still really branding. LTE and WiMax are not 4G, for example, but they are often branded as such to differentiate from slower 3G offerings.

Gargoyle likes this.
  23. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    ok, if that's fast 3G, then the standard sprint 3G is sloooow, that's generally in the 1 mg dl/156k download range.
    Same thing when I had AT&T 3G.

24. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ja, correct. Standard 3G is slow. And 2.5 G is slower. And 2 G is even slower. You can read detailed specs for 4G here.

Gargoyle likes this.
  25. Erasmus
    Original Member

Erasmus Silver Member

Status Points:
    You use 5GB/mo on a phone without streaming? That's hard to believe. I'm on my laptop 5 hours a day email/web surfing/etc. and generally don't break 5GB a month. You must be slinging some pretty huge attachments, as 5GB of text (which is what email/Twitter/RSS are) would take a lifetime to read.