When will miles show up after purchase (with $ or miles) or after actual flight?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by phiota, Mar 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. phiota

phiota Member

Status Points:
    Trying to see if I can get enough miles for a US economy flight ticket that is in Sept/October. Miles will only show up after the actual flight right now when you book or paid for the ticket (with Citi Platnum Credit Card)?

1) "Earn Miles for Using Miles"
    If I "purchase" (with miles) an award ticket would the miles show up after the purchase or after the actual flight?

2) "Double AAdvantage® miles on eligible American Airlines purchases"
    Would these miles show up after the purchase (with $) or after the actual flight?

3) For the miles earned by a purchasing a flight it would show up after the flight right?

Thanks for answering this newbie question,

John

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The miles you earn from CC usage show up after the CC statement closes. Miles earnt for flying show up after you actually fly (I'm pretty sure this is what you mean in #3 but it isn't completely clear).

Samit and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. phiota

phiota Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply. Am clear now for #2 & #3. Still not sure when the miles will show up for #1 which is the
    "10% Redeemed MilesBonus" aadvantage credit card program. I will redeem the miles before I fly (for a flight much later on) so will it give me credit for the redeemed miles (for having used the miles already) or until I actually fly? If I was using money instead of points I think it would give me the miles right away.

"American Airlines AAdvantage® miles will appear as a bonus in your AAdvantage® account 8-10 weeks after you have met the purchase requirements"

4. phiota

phiota Member

Status Points:
    10% Back on Redeemed American Airlines AAdvantage® Miles
    For benefit to apply, your Citi® / AAdvantage® account must be open and active at the time of redemption. The American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles the primary cardmember earns through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage® miles the primary cardmember redeems each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage® account, regardless of how many AAdvantage® miles you redeem in that calendar year. This benefit only applies to AAdvantage® miles redeemed from the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account. Discover all the ways to redeem AAdvantage® miles at aa.com/redeem. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for the American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles to post to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account.

5. Samit

Samit New Member

Status Points:
    This is a very informative forum.