When will LATAM OW announcement be made?

Discussion in 'LAN | LANPASS' started by oneluckybastard, Jul 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. oneluckybastard

oneluckybastard Active Member

Status Points:
    I need to book a Tam flight from ASU-MVD in mid-August and am desperate to buy with Avios rather than the ridiculously exorbitant £200 cash. Does anyone know if a date for the merger and Tam flights being available for Avios reward bookings has been announced?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you thinking of Aug 2013??? if not you better start salting the cash away if you intend to fly:)

Even if the announcement were made today the implementation based on previous such instances I bet, would take 9-12 months.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The takeover has happened, but there will probably not even be an announcement of the alliance chosen for at least another six months or year. BTW, it is not a merger, Latam is a holding company for both LAN and TAM, and both airlines will continue with separate and distinct operating certificates because, among other reasons, regulations preclude them from actually executing a cross-border merger. The have two years before they are legally obligated to make an alliance choice, but the people I know think they'll probably announce within a few months. Unquestionably they do want to have the best deal from alliance partners they can get even though we all think that OW is a foregone conclusion.

So, you might be able to book Brazil with Avios sometime in a couple of years. Because Pluna just went out of business a few days ago I would expect that award travel to/from MVD involving former PL routes will be very hard to find in August. Be prepared to pay the price, but try for LAN if you do not mind circuitous routing.

oneluckybastard likes this.
  4. oneluckybastard

Status Points:
    Thanks for the background info. The £200 has now gone up to £380 now that the direct flight with Pluna is no longer available. No other airline flies out of ASU and there is no LAN option via SCL. Looks like I am going to have to go via Buenos Aires after all.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is at least a 6 month wind-down expected once JJ announces their date of departure so it isn't going to be in 2012. And they have already acknowledged that they are leaving *A; they just haven't stated what they are going to do when that happens.

Have you looked in to using points through a *A carrier? If there is no inventory it doesn't really matter which alliance the carrier is in.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, the actual carrier coded PZ is not the TAM you may be thinking of. It is the former LAP, acquired >99% by TAM, but still a Paraguayan carrier. That makes no real difference anyway. If you have Star Alliance points TAM shows wide open via GRU to MVD on August 15.

oneluckybastard likes this.
  7. oneluckybastard

Status Points:
    Sadly I burnt all my * points when BMI went over to the dark side... :(

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oi pessoal,

A gente tem mais informação sobre isso:

LATAM Airlines to decide in first half 2013 on airline alliance

SANTIAGO, Sept 21 | Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:07am EDT
    (Reuters) - Newly created regional carrier LATAM Airlines Group will decide during the first half of 2013 on its airline alliance, Ignacio Cueto, one of the company's top executives, said on Friday.
    LATAM Airlines, Latin America's largest carrier, is the product of Chilean flagship airline LAN's recent takeover of Brazil's TAM. Following the merger, Ignacio Cueto became LAN Airlines' CEO.
    LAN is a member of the OneWorld alliance, while TAM belongs to Star Alliance.