When will AT operations at DCA become SW?

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by jfhscott, Mar 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm contemplating doing a miles and points Marriott Rewards redemption, scoring 120000 RR points and getting a CP in the process. I can even wait until 1/2013 for strategic purposes. DCA is my primary airport (live 3 miles away). I can schlep it out to BWI, but DCA is clearly preferable.

The AT/SW merger/integration just seems to be moving at a glacial pace. But I was wondering if there is any hard data (I'll even take speculation) as to when AT's DCA operation will be sufficiently integrated for CP use at DCA.

iolaire likes this.
  2. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, it has been 7 months, and no one has answered my question.

Maybe there is new information.

I'm still planning a 1/13 MR redemption which will score me 120000 RR points, and therefore a CP good for the rest of 2013 and 2014. I live far closer to DCA than to BWI, and was wondering when the much ballyhooed, but not particularly implemented "merger" with Air Tran will be complete enough such that their routes will be subject to the companion pass. this could be either through finally merging, or extending CP use to AT flights.

3. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    iolaire likes this.
  4. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you.

Is it me, or is all of this going at a completely glacial pace? SW announced the purchase on 9/27/10, the deal closed on 5/2/11, and the single operating certificate was issued on 3/1/12. I do not recall the particulars for, say, the CO/UA merger, but my recollection is that things moved more quickly despite the larger magnitude of the merger.

5. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you look at the IT, labor, and maintenance issues that other airlines have experienced due to mergers, I don't blame them for taking it slow. SW is also a 737 only fleet, so they need to offload AT's non-737 aircraft to DL and others while bringing on new 737 to replace the aircraft the don't want to keep.

servo46250 likes this.
  6. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree it's going slowly. However, if the new AT credit card offer from Chase is any indication, it appears that the AT brand might be around for longer than we think.