?

When to use Miles vs. Pay Cash

1. When I'm buying for someone else

23.1%
  2. When I have all the miles I need

7.7%
  3. When I have no $ in my bank acct!

23.1%
  4. When the flight is expensive in cash ( > 1.2 cents per mile), but regular priced or cheap with miels

61.5%
  5. NEVER - I use my miles for purchases

15.4%
  6. Vacation

30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. switzloco

switzloco New Member

Status Points:
    Hi!

Any input on this site - The Milesimizer? Is this something worth pursuing or improving?

Do you agree with the logic of the calculation?

Thanks for any input!

2. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to use miles for four purposes:
    • Buying tickets for someone else (lately, a friend to keep me company where I'd feel funny paying for his ticket outright but am afraid if I asked him to pay he'd say it was too expensive)
    • Upgrades (if I want to confirm them) -- but I do this less now that there's a co-pay
    • International premium cabins where it's just too expensive to purchase
    • Positioning flights to start or end an around-the-world (RTW) trip that starts and ends overseas
    The third is similar to your choice "When the flight is expensive in cash ( > 1.2 cents per mile), but regular priced or cheap with miels" except I wouldn't say that international business or first is cheap with miles; I'd say it was too expensive to buy in cash (also you have a typo: miels instead of miles).

BuckleandBoots and daninstl like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    international premium and upgrades. I never use for domestic tickets.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    All but for choices/options 4&5.

6. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd add to anabolism's list, when I'm not positive that a trip is going to happen and it's more cost effective to cancel a mileage ticket than a cash ticket. I know there are lots of other options in that scenario (we can save the discussion for another time/place), but mileage ticket flexibility has a high value in my book.

IDGflygirl and anabolism like this.
  7. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm learning that the whole debate is very subjective. Some people would cringe at me using miles for domestic airfares. But I fall more into the camp of "use them if you've got them - for they may be worth-less next year!" Everybody is at different stages in their lives. Some are more free to travel internationally and see the world and can really squeeze incredible value out of their points. Some, like me and my wife, have kiddos, ball games, piano rehearsals, limited vacation time, etc and are happy to squeeze in a short family trip here and there and "gasp", redeem Hilton points at a Garden Inn. Sure, you can put a calculated value on a mile. But it really boils down to how can you use your points to help you enjoy your life right now. Otherwise, what's the point of all this madness? :)

8. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I just used a ton of miles and points to book a trip to Austin and back. The trip would not have been possible if it was not free.

9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:

I'm with ya. I don't give a rats arse what value other people place on miles/points. I'll do you one better, i have used hilton points at a hampton inn before. (The horror). I have used miles for domestic trips/domestic upgrades and overseas trips (both up front and in back). Like you said it is all subjective. Would be fun to know how many folks have missed taking a trip or staying at a nice hotel becase they couldnt get the cpm they felt they needed. Not me, earn them and burn them and go see/do somehing instead of sittng in front of a computer whinning about not getting "good value" :)

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    An eloquent statement about the subjectivity of "value" ;)