When to upgrade...?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by malikguy, Nov 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are some of everyone's personal guide lines or rules on when you choose to use stickers to upgrade or not? For example, I'm on an early flight from DFW to ORD on Saturday morning and the plane is literally empty. I think I counted 21 seats taken in coach and about 50% left in A, F, P as well. I'm pretty sure I'll get my upgrade if I request it, but I'm thinking maybe to not burn the stickers since I most likely won't have anyone sitting next to me in coach. The flight is ~2 hours long and requires 2 stickers. I currently have 30 stickers.

[​IMG]

Jett Rink and edekba like this.
  2. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would not upgrade in your scenario unless I have zillions of e500s. Also, chances are I would be in exit. Compound that with only 2 hours, I can survive.

My guideline is usually anything around 3:30 and under I won't use e500 unless I have a crappy seat (I am 6'5"). Now, if it is a very early flight, I would upgrade if I want the extra sleep (more comfort). If I am hungover, or expect to be, I will upgrade. Anything over 4 hours will get an upgrade. Early flight, only 2 hours, no upgrade.

I live in DFW and rarely upgrade for any flight to coast. I recently upgraded myself and the Mrs to LAX on a 7am flight and that is all. I'm saving all my e500 for when I hit EXP and will have to use them to upgrade the Mrs when she flies with me.

That's just me.

edekba and malikguy like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow I've never seen a book so close to departure so empty...

My flights for next week are almost full.
    LAX - JFK; 4 J/ 1 Y / 5 Preferred

malikguy likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not a good idea to use the seat map as an indication of how full or empty a flight is. There are a variety of reasons why a passenger might have a reservation on a flight but does not have a seat assignment. Which isn't to say your particular flight is actually full, but a cautionary tale for future evaluation.

malikguy and wrxmom like this.
  5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, there is an opportunity cost to using your stickers. What would you normally use them on? If you have 30 and don't have any use for them, then go for the upgrade!

I'm not an AA elite, but I live on a coast, so I would save mine for mid-to-transcons.

malikguy likes this.
  6. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me neither, strange isn't it???? Well, decided to stay coach on this one. Based on what David said, hopefully coach ends up pretty empty and I'll grab a row of 3 and take a 2 hour nap. :D Thanks for all of the pointers and feedback!

7. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Every flight. I want to take every upgrade I can. As a PLT, I feel that beggars can't be choosers.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP will have a better idea of loads by checking EF inventory availability or trying to do a dummy booking to see what fare classes are offered. In fact, try a dummy booking for additional people, up to 9, and see what happens.

There's a chance that the flight has been filled by a group without seat assignments.

edekba likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Case in point - I recently took a flight from REP-KUL on Malaysia Airlines which showed a very spacious, open cabin on their seat map. I walked on to a 99% full flight (still managed an empty row for myself though!).

The culprit? British package tour group with no seat assignments. ;)

malikguy and edekba like this.
  10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the OP's case, I'd switch my seat from 10B to 21D but not upgrade. Upgrade is fine if longer flight with meal, though.

malikguy likes this.