When to upgrade Marriott Premier Credit Card?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Zomby Woof, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have decided to upgrade my Marriott Premier to the new Premier Plus. If I upgrade before my next annual fee is due will I get the new free cert (hotel up to 35K points) on my current anniv date or will I effectively skip a year on the cert and get it one year from upgrade date?

iolaire likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming the Marriott Premier is the old card? Why would someone "upgrade" the card versus getting the card as a new product the next time a huge bonus is promoted?

3. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    $5K spend is going to be tough for me to meet for the 100K points. So actually, it only yields me 80K more than the upgrade offer which is 20K points.

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I'm just planning on waiting around until I want the 100K points and can make it work. I'd hate to forgo the 80k points (2 nights) if I could make the spend later.

5. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's the new card get you that the old one doesn't? It's one more point per dollar spent.

Do you lose the ability to get night credits on 3k spend with the new card?

I was thinking I'd get the same points with the transition of the SPG card and just keep the old marriott card for the night certs or drop the marriott card altogether.