When to Start First Ever App-O-Rama?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by nuclfusion, Oct 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. nuclfusion

nuclfusion Member

Status Points:
    Afternoon folks! I'd like to start my first App-O-Rama but would like the advice of the group before I move forward.

On 9/15, I applied for and was approved for my first business card, Chase Ink. 50k miles / $5k spend. My normal monthly spend is about $3k but with my wife's medical bills (damn you second child due in April), monthly spend has gone up but is reimbursed by my employer. I'm done with the $5k spend so I'm looking for new cards to begin churning.

All in my name (my spouse has zero cards in her name)
    • Chase Ink
    • Chase Freedom
    • Amex Blue
    • BofA Bank Rewards
    • Citi Platinum (just converted from ExtraCash to TY scheme)
    CK score of 731 due to us purchasing a new car on 9/5.

Our goal is to take an all expenses paid trip (as best as possible) to London or Japan in the next year or so once our second child's born. We'll need something to regain sanity. In the meantime, I wouldn't mind spending a few days probably in NYC. We're near Tampa but family in Miami so TPA and MIA are our main hubs of transport.

Long story short, which card (s) to grab next? I'm thinking Chase Sapphire Preferred for myself but my wife has the run of the litter so to speak. Thoughts?

P.S. I'm deathly afraid of flying so this is also therapeutic. Flying first class for free would surely calm my nerves... :-D

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'd probably shoot for the Chase cards for your wife next, along with Sapphire Preferred for you. After that, I might consider the SPG Amex for some diversification.

3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, if/when you develop a preference for a particular airline or hotel chain you might want to consider looking to see if affinity cards for those make sense for you.

4. nuclfusion

nuclfusion Member

Status Points:
    I may get my wife to do the CSP while I grab the SPG Amex. I have a 13 year history with AmEx so it should be easier for me to handle them atm. Thanks!

5. tim0thy

tim0thy Active Member

Status Points:
    I like the Hilton HHonors Card from American Express.

Given your 13-year history with AMEX, this card's open date will backdate to your first AMEX card and will greatly extend your length of credit history. It also has no annual fee so you can keep it in your wallet forever and it comes with 50,000 Hilton Points (~1 night at a Hilton property).

6. nuclfusion

nuclfusion Member

Status Points:
    This may sound a little odd, but what hotels do you all recommend in NYC and London? I'm looking at the Intercontinental Park Lane in London which seems wonderful, especially at 50k points (80k offer for IHG CC). Maybe the Conrad NY for a couple of nights? Doubt the Park Hyatt will be open in time, or if we'd really want to try and be the first to visit. Maybe I should just apply for every card I come across, hah!

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I just stayed at the new Hyatt Union Square a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Probably my go-to NYC property at this point.

For London, I'd recommend Four Seasons Hyde Park.

8. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    What would be the best way to earn free nights at Four Seasons? I also plan to have a family trip next summer in London for a week.

NYBanker likes this.
  9. MarriottMarty

MarriottMarty Active Member

Status Points:
    I suggest wife (and you later) applying for Club Carlson card, you get 85K plus 15K for minimum spend (100K) points $75/60 annual fee which gets you 2 nights (x2) in London at a huge choice of Raddisons for 50K for two nights (4 nights for you and wife) with possible X2.

London works out well for Club Carlson with the free award night on a two night reservation (and next two on your wife's a count and/or a separate business account

10. nuclfusion

nuclfusion Member

Status Points:
    Surprisingly, Chase approved me for a CSP 38 days after getting an Ink Bold and purchasing a new car. I also got a Hilton HHonors from Amex (the no fee as explained above) for the points with the low limit and no fee so the increase in account age should help out. I'll probably have my wife start off with a CSP as well in addition to maybe an Amex SGP. Once we get the hang of things, we'll probably start pushing the limits of what we can do. Or we'll have $3k monthly spend on diapers... sigh. Who needs to manufacture spending when you have a newborn on the way.

11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Newborns are such a great answer to minimum spend. Sigh.

clscholes likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are not in a points program at present.

Book via FHR or a FSPP agent instead.

13. nuclfusion

nuclfusion Member

Status Points:
    Between diapers and about $4k for the birth (thanks high deductible health plan), we'll be able to meet min spend on quite a few cards. Need to be careful we don't get too aggressive in applications.