When to get to EWR for Monday morning flight?

Discussion in 'EWR/LGA/JFK/ISP/HPN/SWF | NYC Area Airports' started by daemon14, Nov 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not as adept with EWR as with LGA/JFK, but I booked a ticket from EWR for next month ... it's a 9am flight on UA on a Monday morning. I have *G and will be in F, so should have Premier Access, and won't be checking a bag. I'm coming from Hell's Kitchen area (W 42nd/11th Ave), and was thinking of grabbing a taxi around 6:30am to catch a train across the river and reach shortly before 8am. Is that enough time?

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I would make sure to be at EWR around two hours before the flight. It's considered very early for most of you but with EWR I don't risk want to risk it. Even with Premier Access, the security lines at EWR can get VERY long especially on Monday mornings.

8MiHi, mht_flyer and daemon14 like this.
  3. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmrph. I'm dealing with award availability and the only NYC-ORD available are the 5:54am and the 9am from EWR (I consider the 9am from LGA to be worse). To make matters more complicated, I'm getting on the Dreamliner at ORD, which departs ORD 40 min after my flight arrives. The 5:54am flight gives me 3h59m at ORD, but I have club access ...

It's either take NJT from Penn station at 6:30am or at 4:15am ... one involves waking up early, the other involves just not sleeping the night before (I'm on west coast time and sleep late anyway).

I know this is the NYC forum, but do the ORD UCs have quiet rooms? :p

If not, I have 2 787 segments and have a flat-bed on each! :D

8MiHi, miles and smiles and Jimgotkp like this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I would do the 5:54 AM flight because I always expect a delay at ORD. For your transportation to EWR, have you considered Newark Airport Express bus? It's just $16 for a one-way ride from Manhattan to EWR and they start running at 4:45AM. I took this bus from EWR-Port Authority in mid-March and am very glad I did.

The website is: http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

8MiHi likes this.
  5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't leave PABT until 5am, and it takes at least 30 minutes to get to EWR, which means I'll have only about 20 minutes from curb to gate. I don't know if I'm comfortable with that little time ...

I'd rather just deal with NJT to AirTrain EWR ... I've done it before.

If only I had UA status, doing an SDC would be possible for free. Not sure I want to pay $75.

6. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not to hijack this thread but I have a flight on thanksgiving leaving at 7:35am. Is the lounge open overnight that I can check in around midnight and just hangout till boarding? Other option is to book a room at one of the hotels N take the shuttle. We live in queens and don't feel like lugging that early with a kid in tow. My wife and other two kids are on the SQ flight the night before.

7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're flying *A right? If so check *A website, they have lounge listing and hours ...

otherwise I don't know

8. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry. I am UA metal. Wife and two girls on SQ.

9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I checked online, lounge opens at 5am. Doubt there is a 24-hour lounge at EWR.

SQ flight is at 9:45pm the night before, so you're better off doing an airport hotel if you're accompanying them to EWR.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are no 24 hour lounges at EWR; get a hotel room.

For a 9am flight out of EWR and no checked bags I'd make sure to be on NJT by 7:15. Any more than that is overkill. That's assuming normal train service.

viguera likes this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    And you see how that's going nowadays... crazy delays now, and every time it rains/snows all of the sudden it's chaos :)

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, but if it isn't normal weather I know to change my plans for that specific instance. The suggestion to be at EWR two hours in advance all the time works if you really like sitting in the terminal or the crowded clubs there but it just isn't necessary the vast majority of the time. Maybe I'm biased because it is one of my home airports and I know it very well, but between elite access and no bags getting there 2 hours early is, IMO, crazy.

13. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How would you get to EWR from Manhattan for a 0555am flight? Or what time?

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't have booked that 6am flight. ;)

These days the limited trains means I'd be taking a car to EWR at that time. I'd have a 4:15am pickup.

viguera likes this.
  15. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flight's not for another month (2nd week of December). Only other option was 9am from EWR or LGA to ORD, leaving 40 minutes to connect to 787 in winter time.

This one gives me 3h59m in ORD, enough to head to Wicker Park to grab breakfast at Bongo Room, then rush back to ORD.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd have taken the 40 minute connection. :p

17. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can still change it, though a 40-min connection at ORD in winter seems like asking for trouble, especially since the reason I'm doing so is for the 787 ORD-IAH-LAX. If it were a normal itinerary, I'd take that connection and just hope I get rebooked if I miss it. What time would you get to EWR for a 9am flight? F and Premier Access ...

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd aim to be on a 7am NJT train for the 9am flight.

19. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh, which means even more time to get to Penn Station. I'll just stick with the 5:54am and see if an ORD friend wants to grab breakfast.

miles and smiles and viguera like this.
  20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm just saying... at any given time, Penn can turn into an incredible hell hole because of the weather, train derailment, phase of the moon, day of the week, whatever.

Granted, some of the delays now are related to the infrastructure issues related to the hurricane and snow storm, but it's not unusual to see this happen out of the blue.

Right now NJTransit is out 65 locomotives and almost 250 cars, about 1/3 of their fleet. But hopefully everything will be back to 100% by the time your flights roll around.

daemon14 likes this.
  21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it is.