when the price of restricted economy exceeds the price of flex-tickets..

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by torbster, Apr 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see this from time to time on busy days, but only with SK. I understand that the flex-tickets have fixed prices, but shouldn't the price for the restricted tickets be set to not exceed this price? Crazy SK pricing math..
    1.JPG

2. cph_flyer
    Original Member

cph_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This does look strange, but whats happening here, is a result of the many pricetags a seat may have. There is some overlap in prices between the economy and economy flex bookingclasses, meaning that the most expensive eco seats may have a higher price tag than the cheapest flex seats.
    In your screenshot, economy is selling well and only the most expensive booking classes are left, while there are still eco flex availiable in the cheaper bookingclasses.

torbster likes this.
  3. view
    Original Member

view Silver Member

Status Points:
    The intricacies of revenue management! I don't think I'll ever really understand this game.

I've purchased those kinds of tickets myself. I've also purchased Flex tickets intra Europe that were about 100,- NOK cheaper than business class. But the travel policy being what it is I can't buy business class in Europe even if I offer to pay the difference myself. SAS probably calculates this, and hence I pay business class prices for Eco Extra at times.

torbster likes this.
  4. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    that is my issue as well. I can't start buying flex tickets, as I think my booking privileges at work are already under doubt :p (I'm a terrible planner, and actually just realized yesterday that Sunday would be the start of Easter, and a bottle neck for fliers). But the FF in me won't buy that overpriced restricted ticket either. So in this case I actually had to go to the competitors over at DY :rolleyes:

5. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    torbster, shame on you ;)
    I must admit, Norwegian will fly me on my return flight from the Easter holidays. To keep a balance, SAS will fly me on my leg out.

OY-JFS and torbster like this.
  6. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also remember that for many customer, the price you see here is not relevant as these is tickets typical bough by business travellers and then various booking classes have different rebates. So this complicates it further.

As a regular traveller, I've noticed it's a huge different on the price I pay (alot of flex tickets within Norway) compared to what's being stated as the price at SAS' website ;)

torbster likes this.
  7. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm aware of this, so I'm currently trying to gain access to my companys TA :D My problem is that the person at my work who currently has this access is 1) usually only available 3 days a week, and never when I need to book or change my plans - so I would actually have to start planning ahead, god forbid! 2) usually has no clue what they're doing and puts me on one leg with DY and one with SK on the same route, so I have to get my bags in between and go through the whole check-in process again :mad: with 80 domestic flights /year this gets kinda tiring :p
    So yeah, until I gain direct access I'll be happy booking through SK website, as long as I can do it myself, and as long as SK keeps their silliness (as in OP) to a minimum.

8. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a hassle...I usually book my work related trip through our TAs (Berg-Hansens) web solution. Much easier than talking with some agent on the phone. Although they'r really good sorting things out when needing something alot more complicated than a ticket to and a hotel in Kristiansand ;)