When the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing - Continenatal and United

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chef4u, Dec 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just spent several frustrating hours on the phone with CO and UA. For the fourth time since I purchased my ticket for a December flight in April, my flight time and number has changed. First three times it was +/- 30 minutes - no big deal. Today's change was almost 2.5 hours. Fortunately, I was able to negotiate an earlier flight home, so I'm happy. On the other hand, one of my codeshare flights got lost in cyberspace. CO said it was cancelled and UA said it was a go.At this point I wasn't sure who was correct and what was going to happen with my flight. I know they are merging systems etc. but it seems so ridiculous that there is such a disconnect. Finally, after 4 hours of calls, a CO agent was able to solve the problem and confirm all my flights. Unfortunately, my original seating (a family of 4 sitting together "2+2') was lost, so now I'm at the mercy of the online check-in procedure or GA's ,since online seat selection is not available and neither CO or UA can override the system.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Please feel free to share.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you mean another *A carrier codeshare flight was lost or a codeshare between CO & UA? If that's the case simply point out that the flight still exists to the carrier who needs to re-ticket you (sounds like CO) and they'll have to book you straight onto that flight without the codeshare. Very easy to do, especially if it's a CO-coded, UA-operated flight that disappeared. CO can book you directly on the UA-coded. Either way, unfortunately, the seat assignments would have been lost on that one so you'd have to try and get them back through UA or CO.

Good luck.

-RM

AZjohn likes this.
  3. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    All is good in the end, other than the lost seating assignments. I prefer to have my seats organized/assigned rather than playing the Check-In / GA lotto.

ACMM likes this.
  4. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK....so now for an update....just found out that the flight is oversold. I do have a confirmed reservation for 3 , but no seat assignment. Fare class for all tickets is Y. I have no status. Should I be worried about a bump?

ACMM likes this.
  5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not just take a bump and collect the vol. denied boarding compensation?

6. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Need to be in MSY to catch a cruise the next day. Rather be early than late!

ACMM and Flyer1976 like this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can swing the next flight out same day, I'd do the VDB.

8. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    No more 'direct' flights that day...don't want to risk a missed connection either. Was able to get seat assignments after speaking with a UA agent. All is good as of now.

ACMM likes this.