when the eVIP doesn't come through... (warning: whining ahead)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by TheBeerHunter, Dec 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, "never say never" and all that, but we've been wait listed (since August :() for our return flight from Paris in early January. EF is showing R3/J3/Y5/B5. At this point, I am pretty concerned I am going to experience my first ever "miss" of an international upgrade using eVIPs. I came close once before coming back from FRA, but I think that was my first year as EXP and I was still a bit green -- I would've been OK with being in coach then. But now...? Thinking about it really has me down. (And yes, I realize if one's most pressing problems are worrying about international upgrades, one doesn't really have very "pressing problems"!)

This has pointed out to me just how spoiled I have become. I can never, ever not be EXP ever again. :eek:

So, now I have to start steeling myself. How does it work back there? It's been ages since I flew coach internationally with AA, and I've never done it as EXP. Will they give EXPs free alcohol in the back of the plane on international flights like they're supposed to domestically in Y? That would at least dull the pain in my backside from 11 hours of being in a mostly upright position.

I know lots of people fly coach and live to tell about it, I'm just not used to it. Any encouraging words for me?

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just did LHR-SFO burning UA miles and only survived as I brought my own in-flight entertainment along (Samsung tablet loaded with video). Poor woman next to me, from Ireland, had been rerouted from a BA flight due to fog at LHR and was in misery the whole flight as the UA entertainment options are nothing like what BA offers (think overhead screen).

What are the AA entertainment options for your aircraft in coach? Hope you're not getting the same overhead screen I had on UA, though if you're on an AA 767 pretty sure that's what you have to look forward to. If it is, make sure you bring something along and book a row with a powerport if you need power.

You might still clear. My one and only close call was J1 ORD-DUB and I cleared at the gate. Another EXP flyer from the Sacramento area traveling with me did not clear. I had booked a few days before her.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  3. jageach

jageach Active Member

Status Points:
    Best of luck in keeping the upgrade. No need to apologize from my prospective. Once you go upfront you can never go back.

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a horribly long flight in coach. I think I watched four movies (and only one worth watching), and the worst part was that they were all staggered so I would watch #1, then the last 20 minutes of #2, then switch to the middle 30 minutes of #3, etc. The only other entertainment I had was War and Peace. At least I had the bulkhead pair on the left to myself, and I'd stocked up on pastries for the flight home as usual, but there was still a crying baby across the aisle from me.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And you didn't whip out your handy dandy Y adapter audio splitter and offered her to join in on your inflight movie festival? ;)

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And yet I have personally survived it (or SFO-FRA) at least a dozen times, prior to my discovery of FT.

And I still occasionally do these trips in coach, simply because I don't have enough SWUs to cover all my flights (plus my wife's), and because I am cheap and reluctant to spend miles+copay. A few months ago I survived SFO-ICN on a UA 747. Applied for a purple heart afterwards, but was turned down. (so I then "bought" myself an SFO-MUC award on LH in F instead :D)

Scottrick and TheBeerHunter like this.
  7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sigh. Yes, 763 it is.

I will bring my iPad loaded to the hilt. And hope they pass with the drink cart very, very frequently.

It's true we might still clear, but it's my husband and I together...either we both go or no go. At least we'll have each other to commiserate with should it come to that.

Scottrick likes this.
  8. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    LOL:p

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about AA, but whenever I am on a long flight in coach (transcon or longer), I buy a bottle of water after security as I don't want to have the rely on the FAs coming by with their cart or tray.

TheBeerHunter and Scottrick like this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Do you at least have good seats in Y?

I've (sadly) spent a lot of time in long haul Y recently. LAX-LHR on BA (much better than AA Y experience), and LHR-DFW and BOS-LHR in AA Y. It's not so bad. Not so great either, but you'll live. :D

11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    E+ and 2-5-2 seating makes it so much easier. I would pay the co-pay if I were stuck in the back in E-.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But it ruins the whole "I got a great fare" feeling :) And I'd rather use the $$$ used for that upgrade copay for another trip somewhere. At least that's what I am telling myself as I sit crammed into my E+ seat eating my unidentifiable "Indian Vegetarian" meal.

Frankly, as much as I like flying business class, it doesn't hurt to "suffer" through a coach flight every once in a while. Well, okay, it does hurt quite a bit, but i've survived in worse situations.

TheBeerHunter and Scottrick like this.
  13. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They have good seats back there? ;) Yes --we're in 21 H & J.

I can actually do just fine in coach if I know that at the time we get the ticket. We're doing SFO-HNL-KSA in coach on CO award tickets later in January (this will be the second time doing this route in coach) -- I survived that last time just fine. I think it has more to do with expectations..."we applied the eVIPs, therefore, we MUST be flying in business class".

gemac and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  14. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    We missed upgrades in April PVG-ORD. It isn't as good as business class, but it is survivable. Keys to survival are plenty of IFE, getting up every two hours or so to stretch and walk, and a sense of humor. Look upon it as an adventure - you can tell all your friends that you have once traveled long-haul coach, too.

15. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yikes! And here I am complaining about going half that much distance.

gemac likes this.
  16. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you dump it out and fill it with some hard stuff? ;)

17. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I have some great news (for me) -- our eVIPs cleared this morning. I won't have to worry about being in coach afterall. :D

Counsellor, Elusive and mowogo like this.
  18. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Upgrade recently didn't clear on a Friday evening LHR-JFK flight, as the business class cabin was sold out. Not uncommon on that particular flight. Definitely helps one appreciate having the upgrades when they do clear, not taking them for granted. FA's gladly provided drinks on request. Purser stated that he often sees several EXPs in coach on that flight. He welcomed several to the back galley for a round of drinks, which was a nice gesture as well.