When Should You Buy Miles?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jul 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    As I've explained in the past, there are generally three main ways I accrue points: -- Through flying. I fly 400,000+ miles per year, and over half of those miles are flown on revenue tickets, which allows me to rack up quite a few miles that way. -- Through credit card spend/sign-up bonuses. Through a combination of big credit card sign-up bonuses and maximizing credit card points through everyday spend, I rack up quite a few points that way. -- Through buying miles. Often times airlines will sell miles at a discount, and in many cases it can represent a great value, in particular for international premium cabin award tickets. So when people ask me about the best way to earn miles, I typically won't say that flying is the best way to earn them. That's because for the most part mileage running is "dead," so my 200,000+ flown miles on revenue tickets are mostly for travel I have to make. In other words, I'd generally argue it doesn't make sense to get on a plane to earn miles. For American consumers with good credit and responsible spending habits, I'd argue credit cards are the single best way to earn points. There are many great sign-up bonuses out there, and also many cards which are extremely rewarding for everyday spend. But what if you don't usually travel a lot for work, and/or aren't in the US with a good credit score? The post When Should You Buy Miles? appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...