When should I call the reconsideration line?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by el485h1, Apr 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. el485h1

el485h1 Active Member

Status Points:
    I just applied for the AirTran Visa from Chase. I want to take advantage of the sign up bonus before the merger takes place and this card is gone for good! I was not instantly approved. I got the "it can take up to 30 days" bit.

Here are my stats:

Credit score is around 760 - 780 between all three bureaus (checked before I applied)
    I applied for the Amex prg a month ago (no other inquiries before this in last six months)
    Have a current balance of $5,000 (just bought a pool and booked a week at sandals) on my Amex prg

Credit with Chase:
    $20,000 UA Visa
    $10,000 Freedom Visa
    $7,500 Freedom Visa
    $7,500 Amazon Visa
    Zero balances on each

I'm trying to figure out if I should have paid off the balance in full before I call or if i have too much credit with Chase. I just put the $5000 on the Amex a week ago, but I bank with Chase and have plenty in checking to pay off the revolving balance.

If it's the total amount of credit, has anyone had success in having chase lower a line or two to acquire a new one?

boondr likes this.
  2. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chase will almost definely allow a restructuring of credit limits if that was the reason for there not being an instant approval

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    have u been using the other cards? You have 45k open w/chase but if you don't use it ... why would they open up more for you?

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That may be it. My credit score was lower (740-760) than the OP's due to yet-to-be-reimbursed or to be paid travel expenses that ran up my balance on several cards, including 3 chase cards, and yet I applied for a Hyatt-branded Chase visa card, and it was approved instantly with an initial credit line of $23K -- rather high for the credit score, meaning that factors other than the credit score must have weighed in (I bank primarily with Chase so they know my full credit history). Balances of zero on multiple cards (a) do not tell creditors anything about one's ability to repay or be able to make payments, and (b) make creditors wonder why additional credit should be extended when the applicant already has so much credit that s/he's not using.

edekba likes this.
  5. el485h1

el485h1 Active Member

Status Points:
    Just logged onto Chase.com to check my accounts. The AirTran credit card showed up with a $20k line! I guess I don't have to call the recon line!