When Pre-Check on your AA Boarding Pass doesn't Qualify You for Pre-check...

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Max M, Dec 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Wife and I were flying on AA out of TUL on December 4, 2013.

We're both Pre-Check, and our boarding passes BOTH CLEARLY said Pre-Check on them.

However when we got to the Pre-Check lane, the TSA Agent said we were NOT Pre-Check despite it being clearly printed on our boarding passes, and we were told to use the regular Nude-O-Scope lanes.

We flew one time out of TUL where one of our boarding passes said Pre-Check, but the other did not. This was the first instance we've had at any Airport in the U.S. where our boarding passes were both stamped Pre-Check, but we were both denied usage of Pre-Check.

I told my wife I wanted to talk to a TSA Supervisor, but she was didn't want me to do it; I respected her wishes.

Ironically, we flew the first day TUL had Pre-Check in operation, and at the time our boarding passes were not stamped Pre-Check, and the reverse thing happened.

I'm tempted to contact TSA to see why our boarding passes said Pre-Check, but the TSA gatekeeper shifted us to a regular security line...

2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did the tsa clerk scan your BPs, or did they just waive you over to the NoS line without the scan?

To be sure, you were directed to the NoS line by a TSA clerk, and not an AirServ dragon?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

traveltoomuch and flyforawg like this.
  3. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Twice during the first half of the year I have had my boarding pass say Pre-Check and when it was scanned, the screen didn't show the "LLL" with the green light, so they said I didn't qualify for that day. I think I was reading something about Pre-Check randomizing the regular lane every now and then (rarely) for security reasons...keeping the Pre-Checkers honest.

4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is supposed to be a random denial in the program. Fortunately I haven't experienced it yet...particularly on the past couple of occasions where my tight international to domestic connections required going from customs back through security to air side!

5. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    One "smurf" scanned the marked Pre-Check boarding pass, another younger TSA smurf--- not AirServ dragon-- next to him told us that we needed to go the regular line.

I didn't examine whether the scan showed a red or green.

I did ask why, and was told it was a random denial.

flyforawg likes this.
  6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the agents said it was a random denial, but that was the same excuse we received from TSA at TUL 3 weeks ago when my wife's boarding pass said Pre-Check, but mine did not despite being on the same PNR/record locator.

I was confused as to why it was considered a random denial when not one boarding pass stamped "Pre-Check" but two boarding passes stamped "Pre-Check" on the same PNR/Record locator were supposedly BOTH subject to a random denial.

Must have been a slow day in ABQ where the supposed random denials by TSA are made...

7. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    We were both super scrutinized when we both went through the regular lane. We were both subject to firm external pats.

My bag was carry-on was pulled by a smurf and searched, and I was asked if "I had any sharp objects in my carry-on" and my wife's bag was also pulled and searched, and she was subject to the same Theatre Security Accusations.

Us, carrying sharp object in our carry-ons----Really?

I don't really think it's so much a matter of keeping Pre-Checkers honest, but instead TSA trying to remind you that they are the powerful, and as a traveler TSA can do whatever they want.

FetePerfection likes this.
  8. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never seen random denial. I hace seen random extra screening. I have used pre probably 150 times this year.

9. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    My suspicion is that PreCheck being printed on the boarding pass means that the Airline sent your KTN to TSA... not that the "request" was actually approved on the other end. I would be surprised if there was that much electronic talking back and forth between the airline reservation system and TSA's magical security servers. I have only experienced one random denial (at SFO if memory serves) and have used PreCheck about 80 times this year.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  10. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking this is a good bet, as well.

Why would you want to talk to a supervisor for getting a random denial? It happens to folks all the time. I've probably gotten the denial about 10% of the time over the past year. It's a clearly stated part of the program, so I don't think there's anything to get up in arms about.

You also didn't mention, did you and/or your wife get one or three beeps when the BP was scanned?

basiface likes this.
  11. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dunno, just thought when a boarding pass said "Pre-Check" printed on the boarding pass and there were not beeps, that it was odd.

Kind of like when one goes to a restaurant and on the menu a price is listed, but when the check comes.

To be clear: there were no beeps-- not a single one-- for either of us.

My rationale for wanting to talk to a supervisor was more of a curiosity, than getting "up in arms about." But then again, being asked redundant questions, and extra poking and proding probably wouldn't set well with most experienced Pre-Check travelers, but YMMV.

[and my wife and I both have had our share of "white glove" treatment by TSA at non-Precheck Airports]

12. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has happened to me several times. Good to know they mix things up I guess. Why can't we defund the smurfs?

13. ben1979

ben1979 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was at DCA precheck this afternoon. Precheck conveyor belt was a bit backed up so the TSA guy started directing people over to the normal long after he checked their BP. I was dreading being sent to the normal line, but after checking the BP of the lady in front of me, he turned around, saw that the line cleared. started sending us through the precheck line again.

14. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't get pre-check yesterday at PBI, not a big deal. The few extra minutes in the line with the scary regular folks didn't kill me. I believe it was mentioned earlier, but I'd like to simplify this. Airlines print and mark boarding passes, but TSA does security. Regardless of what AA qualifies us for on our passes be it pre-check, no check, or check everything TSA gets the final say so, plain and simple. Those agents are simply doing their jobs and following procedures that are put in place for a reason. Why are we criticizing and insulting them for that? It's a freakin security line people and of course we all want to get through quickly, but sometimes that's not gonna happen. Get over the entitlement issues.

15. Macsog6

Macsog6 Active Member

Status Points:
    I have had Pre-Check denied when my boarding pass was printed outside the US. On an AA flight from MAN-ORD-DFW, TSA did not recognize the Pre-Check saying that they were not connected with any non-US locations even when operated by a US airline.

16. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, there is an element of random acceptance/denial even if the bp says "TSA-Pre". In addition, it is also possible that they monitor how long each line is and tweak accordingly.

17. txtjames

txtjames New Member

Status Points:
    I had the same issue as Macsog6, my LHR issued BP for ORD-DFW clearly had the TSA Precheck stamp but was turned down at security. TSA confirmed that I needed to have the BP reprinted in the US to be valid and then offered to let me get a new one rather then direct me to the non recheck lanes.