When PHX-Europe On US?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Gulfstream 550, Aug 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Will US Start A PHX-FRA Flight In 2 Years?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  1. Gulfstream 550

Gulfstream 550 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For some time now I have wondered why there is not a US flight from PHX-FRA. This flight would be ideal to connect up with *A connections through LH at FRA and US at PHX. All Phoenicians have is the BA flight from PHX-LHR and nothing else to Europe non-stop and we can't earn US miles on the BA flight.

What is the possibility of a PHX-FRA flight in the next 2 years? With the dropped Asian service, are there 2 planes that could be pushed to a PHX-FRA flight?

2. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Phoenix just doesn't seem to be an international airport. It is similar to BWI (my previous residence) in that regard. PHX is dominated by Southwest and US Airways (BWI has Southwest and AirTran combine for 70+% of traffic). BWI spent large sums of money to build an international pier which sits mostly empty. I believe the BA flight from PHX only continues because of incentives.

You can probably fly US Airways to IAH and catch Lufthansa from there (I did that on a reward flight last year).
    Personally, while I wish something would change, I think you'd be better off dreaming about something more likely to occur or more pleasurable :D

SC Flier likes this.
  3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    How many paid paid business passengers are there from phx to europe? I think it's very tricky from a revenue perspective. In addition, during the summer when it is peak european travel season, you have very hot days in phx, affecting takeoff performance.

Instead of flying phx-fra-destination it still makes much more sense to do phx-phl-destination.

4. phlwookie
    Original Member

phlwookie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given that all the widebodies are already allocated and flying to PHX from Europe takes an additional 4+ hours versus to PHL or CLT, I think we'll continue to see the European flights out of the East hubs. If they want to increase aircraft utilization a bit they can turn some on PHL-CLT runs as they do now with at least a few daily 767s. I think the heat issue in PHX may affect range some, though I would think the A330-200s might still have enough legs, but I'm no authority on that.

That said, I think services to a few big Asian hubs with strong Star Alliance presence as well as perhaps a FRA flight being the only imminent European flight (due to the LH hub) are probably in the cards once the additional A330-200s replace the 767 fleet and the A350s come online. With BA on PHX-LHR I can't see US rushing for a London flight. But this won't happen for much more than two years. For now, US flyers will have to be satisfied with connecting in the East, or on other Star carriers operating the limited West Coast to Europe flights, such as via LAX or SFO. I suppose the 787 might open more options in the next few years, though of course US only has the A350 on order, which arrives later.

Gulfstream 550 likes this.
  5. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    LH had PHX-FRA more than a decade ago. It was daily, reduced to 3x and then it was cancelled in 2002 I believe. I've also heard that the BA route isn't very profitable, sometimes unprofitable. Though they continue to commit to a 6x LHR route (was 7x on a 777 to LGW years ago). So even if there were equipment for it I don't see US having a European route from PHX. Even Asia seems like a longshot since the O/D market just isn't there. Maybe a non-hub route from the west coast instead.

6. phlwookie
    Original Member

phlwookie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've also heard that the BA flight doesn't do well, however I'm not sure I believe that - they could downgauge the 747 to a 777 if it were going out with unused capacity.

I suppose a FRA flight is more likely to be feasible nowadays with US in Star versus the last time it was tried with no alliance carrier on the PHX side to provide connecting traffic, but with US and UA/CO having big hubs back east that LH serves (along with a daily 747 to DEN) it's unlikely to be a high priority.

7. desert_gecko
    Original Member

desert_gecko Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back when the merger was first announced, I remember hearing something that as soon as they had the A350, they'd start PHX-LHR and PHX-FRA. Of course things were quite different then.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  8. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    May still be true....once US gets an A350.

desert_gecko likes this.
  9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Soon there will be PHX-LHR...on their soon to be partner British Airways.

eponymous_coward and LETTERBOY like this.