When on a flight, I get irritated the most by...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by arnoldfernandes5, Mar 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

When on a flight, I get irritated the most by...

1. The Staff's attitude.

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. People who do not stop talking.

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  3. Crying children.

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Someone kicking the back of my seat.

27 vote(s)
    44.3%
  5. Waiting a long time to use the toilet/When someone does't clean up.

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. Unsatisfactory food.

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. Someone snoring/Sleeping on my shoulder.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Broken IFE.

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. Other.

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  1. For me personally, especially since most of the flights I take are long-haul in economy, I get the most annoyed with people kicking the back of my seat. What do you get annoyed by the most?

travelingmore likes this.
  2. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kids, people banging on the back of my seat, parents that make no effort to control their kids, B.O.

3. sgkis
    Original Member

sgkis Silver Member

Status Points:
    that, and people when getting up from their seats behind me, "tugs" on the headrest portion of my seat to hoist themselves up! Even worse, some make it a point to hold on to EVERY seat along the aisle when moving from the lav back to their seats! I understand there's a need to stable themselves, but not with such violent an action please!:confused:

Naptimes likes this.
  4. Unhelpful or grumpy staff by far. I still remember the AA FA in about 1975 who told me not to step on her feet. This would have been hard as I was sitting in a window seat.

secretsea18 and Gargoyle like this.
  5. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't stand people attempting to bring on ridiculously oversized carry-ons, holding up the line for everyone.

billydee, koalagurl, PAinNY and 2 others like this.
  6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't stand those who have to call using their cell phones prior to take off, announcing to someone that they are on the plane and we are about to take off, especially after they have been told by the FA to turn it off. Actually thinking about it, most people on the flight in general.;)

techguru and samonyc like this.
  7. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me, it's a cross between the kicking and the talking. I don't mind people talking in general, but I seem to always been on flights with LOUD TALKERS that just don't seem to notice that there are a lot of people trying to sleep. And plenty of others that just don't want to be forced to hear their conversation.

travelingmore likes this.
  8. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although the kick to the back of the seat is #1, a close second, is the "middle-seat-back-of-the-bus-body-odor wedge".

9. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    What consistently infuriates me is people who flout the instruction to put away electronics, and I'm not very fond of the folks who need to use my seat back to lift themselves out of theirs. Ever heard of armrests?

billydee likes this.
  10. swisshera
    Original Member

swisshera Silver Member

Status Points:
    kicking on my seat is a big nono! but i often enough don't speak it and just give them a look..haha!!

11. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    Number one for me is someone (usually a child) kicking the back of my seat. I have had two lower back surgeries and, inevitably, a child behind me finds that exact spot every darn time! ;) However, I have no problem speaking to the flight attendant when this happens. Actually, the parents of these children need to get a grip and teach their kids about consideration for others...

12. People, when getting up from their seats behind me, pulling on my seat or headrest to hoist themselves up!

13. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1. I cannot stand when people do that..

Always Be Flying likes this.
  14. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    1) Babies don't usually bother me, parents do. Babies cry, big deal - what I ABSOLUTELY HATE is how some parents make the whole incident about themselves, or their actions cause the baby to get riled up in the first place.

2) In premium cabins I expect a lot more from the FA's, food, IFE, and overall experience. Same in domestic 1st, which is rarely worth the extra money to pay for a slightly larger seat.

3) Obnoxious people - talking is great, I have met many great people in my travels. They probably bother me more in 1st than steerage because "you never want to be 1st class a**hole guy/gal." We are all flying, nobody cares that you have 17 minutes to change terminals at ORD, have an early meeting, hate the delay, etc. - so do I.

4) Kicking/pulling seats - if you consistently kick seats you are a jerk, straight up. And, if your quad muscles are not strong enough to hoist your carcass a foot north of where you are sitting, don't make it my problem.

5) Bringing a carry on bag that you know going in can't be fit or lifted into the overhead. It's just stuff - take less of it.

6) In the "yes, this has happened to me more than once" category: don't stuff your religious/political beliefs down my throat. Political arguments are off limits until I have had a half bottle of tequila (always aged, always straight) and I am NOT converting to your religion. Stop it already!

15. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    loud talking, usually lasting the whole flight

16. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm amazed at all the comments about someone kicking the back of the seat, I almost have never had that issue and when I have it is because of parents that do not control their kids
    so this is the biggest issue I have when I fly.

Sure the Kettle's thing bothers me, but that's why they are the Kettles, I can't do much about that.

Travelsavant likes this.
  17. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's something that hasn't been mentioned. What's up with people who are seated near the back of the plane, yet put their bag in the overhead compartment near the front (i.e., by my seat)? This has happened to me more than once, so that I am forced to make my way down the aisle toward the back to get MY bag before I can get off the plane. Because the people in back used up all the front overheads. Pretty absurd.

18. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    kicking the seat was my number one. Not listed on the poll is people who use your seat to hoist themselves. This irritates the crap out of me, especially when it's done with force :mad:

secretsea18 likes this.
  19. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    I distinctly remember sitting next to a CO Gold member in domestic first last year. He was telling me all about how he gets whatever he wants by "flashing that gold card at the gate agents" :rolleyes: Told me once he got his whole party of five upgraded once he let the gate agent know that he's gold.

I then asked if he had any aspirations to fly the 100K miles required to get the new SWUs that CO was introducing last year. He said "oh, I don't care about that I always get what I want when I tell them I'm gold elite" I then proceeded to mention that the SWUs are great, because you could use them internationally. He then told me he always gets upgraded for free even on international flights, like to Hawaii......:rolleyes:

What a doucher!

20. The passenger in the front seat having their seats back when food/drinks are being served. That's the most annoying thing when i fly. It's even worse when they are asleep and i don't like to disturb their slumber.

miloki likes this.
  21. Clocktower
    Original Member

Clocktower Silver Member

Status Points:
    Legroom. Some day I will find the little guy who decides the row spacing and I will punch him in the kidneys. Although to do so I'll apparently have to get down on my hands and knees.

Also: Chatty Cathys (who are actually usually guys). I don't mind the occasional exchange with a stranger, but if I don't want to talk, get the message. I always get seated next to the guy who's terrified of flying and wants to distract himself with conversation.

kwai likes this.
  22. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    All of the above.

I have had to use the seat in front to "hoist" myself out to get out. Usually because the person in front has reclined it all the way. In coach, if the seat in front is reclined, it is virtually impossible to get out without holding onto the seat in front of you.

Travelsavant and ctporter like this.
  23. When on a flight, I get irritated the most by...

Finding myself in Y when a great employee such as myself should only travel J or better ;)

Concerto, Travelsavant and Chimpy like this.
  24. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    My three main irritations are loud talkers, seat being kicked, and having my "seat space" invaded (elbow way over seat rest, leg or luggage by my feet, etc.). Too bad I usually have to fly coach. :)

25. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    the woman (girl, really) next to me who is applying nail polish.