When Is Trading Points Worth It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by iorr61, Apr 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. iorr61

iorr61 New Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, because I'm sure it's in here somewhere, but when I've looked at trading flight miles using points.com, it appears to be a rip off. You get some ridiculous low number in return for giving a decent amount of miles. I'd rather give them away or let them expire. What am I missing?

This also applies to buying extra miles directly from an airline. Unless you're 1,000 points off from a free flight, buying the miles quickly adds up to the published fare of a flight with no miles needed.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your analysis is pretty sharp. It is rarely worth the fees to make such trades.

Aloha-Rick, cvarming and TravelBear like this.
  3. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only reasonable trade on points.com I know of is the Aeroplan to US Airways transfer. You loose about 15% of your miles, but you end up with miles in a program that does not charge fuel surcharges. It is also a reasonable way to get American express membership reward points into a non-fuel-surcharged program.

TravelBear likes this.
  4. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thought I read some people saying the option is not available for AC to US anymore. Didn't check it out for myself though. But that would be a good way to get MR to US

TravelBear likes this.
  5. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just checked and it is still there. 15k minimum, but still possible.

lsed likes this.
  6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree regarding points.com but I have to tell you that purchasing points can sometimes make sense. When US Air has their periodic sale you can often buy 50,000 miles and get another 50,000 free. It ends up costing about $1800 for a Business Class ticket to Europe or some parts of Asia - a pretty good deal.

I've done it a few times - even before they raised the prices when the total cost, I think, was about $1300!

7. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very much for verifying this!