When is AA going to get some decent planes?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by THREEA4ME, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew a MD-80 from DFW to BWI the other day and it was like boarding Aeroflot. Dirty as can be, bad lighting, old seats, dirty tray tables, I couldn't believe it. And the 757s are an eyesore as well! 737s have good pitch but are old and boring with zero amenities. And even their transatlantic plane, the 777, is ten years old, has just okay amenities (at least in Business/first is very good). The 762/763 are good aircraft but AA desperately needs some dreamliners to spice things up as the Airbus' in the air are just superior.

live2travel likes this.
  2. Some select MD-80s are going through service life extension so they maybe around for a long time considering they have 300 of them. I hope they keep ordering 777s, since they can get them delivered in 2012. AA still has some 30+ 737s to be delivered.

Aeroflot actually has a newer fleet overall these days. A German told me he considers their service the best and he is a MM flyer on LH. (I dunno for sure)

Delta is on the cusp of placing a large order of new planes, but like other big carriers are waiting for a more solid forward outlook and the pricing games between Airbus and Boeing.

2011 has not started as a great year for aircraft builders so far, though each hopes to book 1,000 aircraft orders or more this year.

3. 300 Md-80s in service? Not even close. Maybe some research is in order?

4. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    I started to say " quit bashing AA" but other than the 737 comment I kinda agree with him.

piqaro likes this.
  5. In 2008 they had 300 of them. I do not know how many are in active service now, but they are the largest operator of the plane. Sorry for making you angry again, I must be really annoying.

6. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think AA management would love to get of the MD-80 and get 737 for the fuel saving alone, but their financially sitution doesn't allow that. When they have sorted out there labor mess I think we will see a large order for new planes.

Miles likes this.
  7. It turns out AA had a fleet of 250 MD-80s flying in 2010 and some more (maybe for parts) in the desert.

In any case yes, fuel efficiency and many other reasons.
    Airlines are being very careful and so far the game to please analysts seems to be building up cash in 2011, which probably makes a lot of sense too.

8. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA just got rid of a bunch of Airbuses which were decidedly not superior. Personally the only thing I like about Airbus is the 8-abreast seating on their widebodies, which is much nicer than the 9 or 10-abreast on most Boeing widebodies.

Aircraft age is not really a big deal from the customer's perspective. The biggest problem is that AA (and most of its domestic competitors) are horrible at cleaning and maintaining aircraft interiors. Whenever I fly JL, NH or OZ, the plane is sparkling clean when I get on and more or less clean when I get off. On AA, UA or DL, it's usually a bit grimy at boarding and a complete disaster zone 3 to 12 hours later.

Microwave, wanderlust and gemac like this.
  9. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't fault them too much for the "disaster zone" caused in the air, but it's terrible when you step into an aging plane, with a dated interior, that just doesn't look or feel clean.

10. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. The airframe age isn't the real issue, it's the interior age and the frequency with which it gets a deep clean.

You could easily make an MD-80 feel "new" on the inside with a full interior refurbishment. AA (and DL with its DC-9 fleet) have just chosen not to do this because they had planned to retire them. Now AA appears to be doing some of this as it is clear the MD-80 will be with us for a while.

I've been aboard 20 y.o. aircraft that appeared brand new on the inside because of a recent overhaul plus attentive cleaning. I've also been aboard RJs that are only a handful of years old but appear beat to hell because of a total lack of attention to cabin maintenance.

barelyelite likes this.
  11. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 767-200 needs to have the inside updated as the overheads provide some of the worst space of any airplane and JFK-LAX has a lot of business travelers. The new RJ's have excellent space for a commuter jet and the single F seat makes it feel like a private jet.

TheIceTrojan likes this.
  12. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree. More than once I've been aboard a 20+ year-old plane with a new interior and heard people remark how nice it was to be flying on a new airplane.

13. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I don't mind this aircraft if I get the upgrade. I like the 763 better. Coming back from a cruise out of MIA, I opted for the 762 because it's 3 class. I used miles for my wife in F saver and she had a nice F seat in row 2. I got the upgrade and sat in row 7 in biz.

I agree the 762 is dated but I'll take it over the 757 with limited leg room in F. (especially for a 6 hr flight)

14. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember years ago when AA had MD80's....wait a minute they still do.[​IMG]

15. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA currently have 227 MD-80s in service according to Airfleets.net, and 226 MD-80s in service as of December 13, 2010 according to JonNYC.

16. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    No.

17. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    i have to agree with OP. have not been on any 737s with AA in some time but that will change next week on a flight to MIA from YYZ.

18. They are doing well there. Its good to know. That is a lot less than 300 and the fleet reduction is dramatic.

19. TheIceTrojan
    Original Member

TheIceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. The 762 need a complete overhaul and the 763 used internationally really is sub par by any standard and is simply not competitive. It may have held its own for a limited time in J a few years back when they brought in NGB but they bought a product with a six month shelf life in 2008 and its 2011!

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    While I agree that AA's planes are no where near stellar, and pale in comparison to the JL/CX flights I find myself on in Asia, I really don't find them to be too different from their US counterparts. It's pretty status quo.

Clearly I fly AA most, but I've been on Delta and United a few times recently, and my first ever flights with US Airways (against my will) in January. I was neither impressed nor repulsed on any level when I compared it to what I normally see on AA. Things could be better, but not on a level where they are dreadfully deficient when compared to other US carriers. Just my 2 cents. [​IMG]

21. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    The lack of IFE on the MD-80s is my biggest complaint, but at least they do have working power outlets.

Isn't cleanliness likely to be a management issue?

22. That's the key. When compared to US carriers. Compare AA to its interntional competition, your picture is not as rosey. Yes, US carriers, other than VX, are all equally crappy.

sobore likes this.
  23. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    True statement.

24. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yet you're flying AA and not Virgin America? What draws you back to AA if Virgin America is better?

25. VX doesn't serve my ultimate destination, and AA 3-class F on dinner flights is acceptable.