When Hotels Invent Their Own Geography

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jun 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    It's an old Southern California adage that the name "Beverly Hills" carries such cachet that pretty much any nearby real estate listing will claim to be located in "Beverly Hills-adjacent." As the very 1980's allure of Beverly Hills has faded and Los Angeles as a whole has become more cohesive, I've found no one really says "Beverly Hills-adjacent" anymore, though I've noticed a few hotels just outside the city limits will attach to the Beverly Hills label, for obvious reasons. The Four Seasons Los Angeles at Beverly Hills, the SLS Beverly Hills and the Mr. C Hotel Beverly Hills, for instance, are all technically located in the City of Los Angeles, although in each case within a block of the Beverly Hills city limit. So while it's a bit of a stretch, it's not an outrageous one by any means. However, I searched for hotels in L.A. next week for a friend and encountered the "W Los Angeles - West Beverly Hills," which I'd never seen before. The hotel website even advertises itself as a "newly renovated Beverly Hills hotel." The post When Hotels Invent Their Own Geography appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...