When Gate Check is not Gate Check, kinda....

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by vickers, Sep 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting thing happened today from ATL, on a trip to BWI. I gate checked my bag, and instead of getting a pink tag, I received a normal baggage claim tag (like if I was going to check it before I went through security). When I went to pick it up, the gentleman on the ramp said my bag would be in baggage claim.

Sure enough, it came down on the turntable. This has never happened before. Just wondering if this is an anolomy, or if this is the norm, or if something was changing. It was a Delta flight, MD-88.

Thanks.

2. lynn3808

lynn3808 Member

Status Points:
    Atl and dtw seems to do this a lot now. The small regional plans may still gate check for plane side.

vickers likes this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    So its pretty exclusive to Delta I assume? Wonder what the reasoning is behind it....

4. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happened to me leaving CVG last summer on US.

I think its because they don't want to have to have the staff specially unload stuff.

But I am nto sure.

5. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With most airlines in my experience, "gate check" procedure on mainline tends to be for final destination while gate check on regional is still segment-based. This includes flights on US, UA, DL, F9 and now AA.

vickers likes this.
  6. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. This happens on AS as well.

vickers likes this.