When everything below Y-Fare is zero'd out?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Ed Ip, Feb 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I am looking at fare info for an upcoming trip on ExpertFlyer and find the fare classes for everything below Y (e.g. BMHQ....so on) on flights I had previously "penciled in" with plenty of availability got zero'd out but the seat maps are wide open.

Does this mean a schedule change is imminent or something else?

Thanks.

Ed

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can mean a pending schedule change (they usually show up on Saturday mornings) or the flight is sold out in lower fare buckets.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can also mean the flight is essentially oversold, but they'll be happy to take your (or someone else) Y $ and possibly bump someone off the plane.

4. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks both of you. Those flights aren't sold out since, according to the seat map, might as well have been empty. I wonder if it was a bug with EF or Delta pulled inventory temporarily because there were 9s for every fare class about 30 mins after my initial post.

5. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen some odd things like this that I chalk up to one of two possible causes: 1) A bunch of data was being updated and was still in process 2) poor IT quality.

6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Third possibility: there's a huge block of seats reserved (but not completely sold) for a possible group. (Says the person who used to work in contract sales reservations.)

DiverDave likes this.
  7. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there's been a schedule or equipment change, they may not have reseated everybody yet.

I had an equipment change a few years ago ATL-LAX from a 777 to a 763. I checked my seating on the morning of departure, and the seating chart was wide open. Took me a moment to realize the equipment had been changed. I grabbed a terrific exit row seat before seats started to disappear. (And OMG, you would not have believed the mess at the gate. Still can't believe I passed on a $400 bump.)

David

USAF_Pride likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This could reflect inventory levels where married segment logic is involved. Only Y class is available if you want to fly only that segment, but there may be lots of space at lower fares if you want to connect to or from the segment. I saw this happen this morning to a flight that was zeroed out in BE two months ahead of the flight but showing wide open seat maps on a date that should not have had lots of demand. When I tacked on a connecting segment, DL was even willing to sell a bunch of seats at I fares.

9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I've seen this before, shown up sometimes with award inventory ex-ATL. Seems especially prevalent on LHR routes.