When does the clock on sign-up bonus start ticking?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Maximizer, Jun 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it on the day of card activation, or approval, or something more complicated?

Thanks!

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is quite likely after the first spend because that generally indicates unwavering agreement with all the terms and conditions, but rules may be different for different cards so it is better to call the card issuer to be sure...

satman40 likes this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, it is usually on approval. But it is always best to contact the card issuer and get the correct date from them. For example, with my last two cards from Chase the terms were that I had 90 days to meet my spend. With both cards, my actual deadline for meeting my spend was 107 days from approval. That is why I say, always ask the card issuer what your deadline is for meeting your minimum spend. Don't speculate. Ask for your own specifics.

satman40 and othermike27 like this.
  4. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And if the card bills you for an annual fee the first year, be sure to not count the AF as part of the required spend. Like I did on one last year...duh. :(

satman40 likes this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why press it, get it done..

60 day should be enough,.,

Put a date in your calendar, no excuse.

6. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what I understand it is from day of approval

satman40 likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    My problem with this is that "approval" does conclude until the card has arrived and it has, at the very least, been activated. One sees the following in the T&C of most CCs: "You accept the terms of this Agreement by using or activating your Account."

Rather than guessing, why not just call the credit card issuer to find out? Both the call and the answer should be free!

satman40 and miles and smiles like this.
  8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    That might be logical and convenient to users, but it's never the case. If you activate a card e.g. 6 months after applying, you will not get a bonus!

9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My clock starts ticking when I apply for the card, I make sure the table is clear, no since starting if you can not finish,

Most of these cards are not free, and if you can not use the points why bother.

royce242 likes this.
  10. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently opened accounts with Citi and Amex, and AFAIK both start counting on the day the account was approved (instantly on the web in both cases).

Since I don't want to do MS, I planned out items that I could pay early (car insurance, yearly instead of monthly renewals, new laptop) in order to meet the spend.

satman40 and miles and smiles like this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I often pay property insurance in advance, if it is the first 6 months, they will not let you pay a year the last 6 months...

Health Insurance is a good one to pay in advance.

Cell phones and utilities are another group, if they take CC.

MS is not free..their us a cost.

I have some rentals, so not a lot of MS is needed, my wife says none of the MS is needed, but I like to get it done. OD/HIGC,/INK/,LOWES, 5X adds up fast..

WURM, glad to see you are looking ahead.. So many wait for the last hour, and many think it is not worth the trouble, To me it is..

I love bringing wife's relation over here from Asia, at my age who want to travel 18 hours even FC. Keeps mama happy,,and that is good..

This hobby allows us to give gifts we never dreamed we could share., I still feel home is best...