When does status end?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Dovster, Apr 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    This year, I dropped from PM to FO. In fact, I earned the FO status on March 1. I thought it was supposed to include the remainder of this year, all of the following year, and expire on Feb 28 of 2013.

I received my FO cards and they say "valid through 02/12".

Does my status end then or will I get new cards next year?

jbcarioca and Chimpy like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Dovster. I assume you qualified last year for FO based on MQMs/Segments, and then have already in 2011 flown enough MQMs/Segments for FO status.

If that is the case, you'll get a new FO card in early 2012 with the Feb 2013 expiry. They don't send out cards right away if you merely re-qualify, lest you subsequently move to a higher level this year. If you reached GM in 2011, you'd get a GM card mailed to you with a Feb 2013 expiry. This saves sending unnecessary cards.

3. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    NYBanker said it straightforward. Earn a higher status and they will send you cards expiring in 2013.

DeltaExpert and jbcarioca like this.
  4. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not entirely correct.

If you earn GM, or higher in 2011, you would be sent a new card that would be good until Feb 2012. Around Feb 2012, a new package containing your GM + credentials with expiration in Feb 2013 would be sent to you.

Basically, Dov, you only get the card for the year, then you would get a new one sent to you the folllowing year. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends on when you earn the status. I made FO in August 2010 and was sent a card good through February 2012. Will make GM in just under a month and won't really care when the card expires, as I'll make PM a couple of months later :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It gets exciting when you make PM or DM in December. Then there is the question of whether you get choice benefits for two years or just one. In 2010 they gave all of us two years, but it took a long debate to get them.

Dovster likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It also gets "exciting" around late February if you have a trip spanning early March where you will need the physical card, for example to access overseas partner lounges. Not everyone has their new card in hand by March 1, unfortunately.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be going through the move to STE+ in what is (for me) a crazy month of flying. 28 MQM short of GM today, so I'll make it on a trip to AMS first weekend in May. Mid-May will be my first visit to the LHR SkyTeam lounge on an SV J ticket (they just moved from T3 to T4) to RUH. However, I really, really, really, really am going to want my lounge access when I fly LHR-FCO-TLV and back on AZ a few days after getting back from RUH. Something tells me my GM card won't have made it across the pond by then, and AZ's computer systems make DL's look state of the art, so I lack confidence my BP will be sufficient for any lounge access that trip. Thus, I may be using my new AmEx Plat Priority Pass card to sit in the 4Deck lounge in T4 and whatever lounge is available at FCO. After getting back from TLV I'm flying DL to SEA, so BP should work fine on that trip at least.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you think you may want to use your newly-minted DL status for lounge access (and even for the SEA trip), try printing a copy of your account pages that show the new status. It might be enough to satisfy the dragons, even though showing the physical card seems to be the official rule.

10. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mrs. Italy retained GM for this year and received a SO package in the mail. A quick message to DL corrected the error.

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to hear that she kept GM and that the problem was fixed fast.

12. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are correct about the situation applicable to what Dovster mentioned (including the date given) in the OP, but if a higher status acquisition occurs beyond some point after mid-year (I'm not sure when exactly, but it's at some point in the second half of the year IIRC), then the card may have a 2013 expiration date..

It's been this way for years and DL's contracted arrangements haven't made a change to that situation. For those who qualify for higher elite status at later times in the year, it's a different situation, but that too is still consistent with how it has been for years.

Given that CO/UA are shaving a month off elite status periods startng next year, I'll be curious to see if DL tries to do the same and have elite status periods terminate at the end of January instead of the end of February like they have historically.