When does my status expire?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by chef4u, Jul 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reached AA Gold status yesterday :) Doubt I will get Platinum :(

Do I have gold status until February 28 2013 or 2014

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Feb 2014. Enjoy!

3. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent...now the question is: Do I parlay this into status matches on Delta and United? Suggestions?

4. thetravelanalyst

thetravelanalyst Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Chef4u - Congrats on reaching Gold status! Unless there are significant reasons for switching to Delta or United, I suggest that you keep flying American Airlines to achieve an even higher status, and then see if you can status match into other frequent flyer programs if it makes sense (e.g., there's a chance you'll fly on Delta/United metal or you like their perks better). Keep flying and earning miles, get a feel for what American offers so that you'll have a baseline with which to compare benefits. Also, it will be worth keeping up with rumors of American Airlines potentially merging with another airline so that you're kept abreast of how your benefits might change.

Just one opinion. I'm sure there are others!

~e~

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    What would be the point of doing so if you already stated you don't even plan on traveling an additional 25K miles between now and Dec? Do you have a specific goal in mind?

Otherwise, seems rather pointless to me. Save your matching for when you can utilize it best, not just to say you have it.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    In any event Gold on AA and the likely corresponding match to DL and or UAL ( which I doubt they would match anyway ...but most certainly would involve some sort of challenge.. so you might start of flying with no status) which would be to a similar status and is unlikley to garner you much more than free checked bags and the ability to pick some better seats.

Waste of time/effort IMHO

7. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto Do status matches when you absolutely need to. They are not unlimited. Sometimes they are once in a lifetime or once every five years or so. Use with care;

8. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all for the comments and advice

9. thetravelanalyst

thetravelanalyst Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anytime! Enjoy your Gold status! Who knows you might find reasons to fly to more places, achieve more status.