When do you consider your vacation as beginning?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Dovster, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be going to LAS on vacation later this week.

I will be leaving my house in one hour and be in a car for three hours on my way to Tel Aviv.

I will be spending three days there with my UIG (Used Italian Girlfriend).

On Thursday night, I will get into an aluminum tube, spend 13 hours being bored, and arrive in ATL on Friday morning.

I will be spending Friday and Saturday with FT friends.

On Sunday morning, I will get back in an aluminum tube and fly to LAS.

I consider my vacation as starting the moment I leave my house. What would you see as the starting point? When you get to Tel Aviv? When you board the first flight? When you arrive in ATL?
    When you get to LAS? Or at some other point?

jason8612, lisamcgu and Skyvillager like this.
  2. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have several clear milestones for vacations that bring our family an increasing level of pleasure:

1) Committing to where we are going to go - We love doing the research and then booking the flights, hotel, rental car, vacation rental. That commitment causes excitement around the diver90 household. (1-10 scale = 3)

2) Minidiver90 then asks for a countdown calendar. I whip one up using the Word Calendar function and throw in some graphics. It hangs on the fridge and minidiver90 checks off the days (currently sitting at about 150ish for a nice July trip). (1-10 scale = 3)

3) Now time just passes... and passes... and passes. The next major milestone is packing the day before the trip. Yeah it's a little nerve wracking making sure you get everything packed and the house all set up for ultimate security, but we're almost on our way. (1-10 scale = 5)

4) Leave for the airport. OK we're sort of on our way. Now if the ATL traffic gods will smile on us and there won't be a 4 car dog pile or a gersploded tractor trailer filled used vegetable oil and chicken feathers on the Interstate we're all set. This also starts the "Get in the car, to get on the bus, to get on the train, to get on the plane, to get on the train, to get on the bus, to get in the rental car, to get to the actual vacation" process. (1-10 scale = 6)

5) Get to the airport and clear security. Go to the gate or lounge. OK we're here. Unless the airline or the weather gods play a nasty trick, we're actually going to go "there". YIPEEE! (1-10 scale = 7)

6) Get on the plane..... and it actually pushes back and takes off. AMAZING (1-10 scale = 8)

7) You arrive in the general vicinity of your vacation destination. If customs are involved you and your luggage clear. I CAN SMELL IT NOW. (1-10 scale = 9)

8) You connect with your transport to the actual vacation site and get checked in / get the rental keys. Any problems encountered wash above and around you as the bliss of the vacation enables you to achieve a Zen-like serenity. You enter your vacation domain and open windows to a gorgeous view or walk down to the edge of the water and dunk you tootsies in the warm water. An enormous sigh escapes your collective, gaping mouths. (1-10 scale = 17)

Enjoy your next vacation. You earned it.

tahewett likes this.
  3. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    The second I walk out the door at work.

4. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is when the vacation clock begins for me as well.

5. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Somewhere after the time my husband and I stop bickering as we get out the door to head to the airport. It will depend on if he has made us late or not how long the bickering continues in the car. For some reason we always bicker when we are trying to get out the door. He just isn't an early person as I am and it drives me nuts. I tell him we have to be there an earlier time than reality, and then he has to go back in and out of the house a couple times to do his ocd check of lights, locks, etc. Sometimes just to mess with him I make him get in the car first and I go back in for something and then I lock the door which really screws with him because he can't go back to check if the door is really locked. (insert evil grin here)

For the record we're extremely happy together, it's friendly bickering, and it happens EVERY time, so I probably should say it feels like vacation during the banter, but I can't relax until I know we're almost to the airport and we're on time for our flight.

travelingmore likes this.
  6. lipton
    Original Member

lipton Gold Member

Status Points:
    As soon as I leave the house knowing I will drive to the airport right now. The feeling gets stronger when I reached the country I am visiting.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    For long trips I've started liking not heading out directly from work at the end of the week. The next afternoon is great. I can piddle around the house, even go into the office briefly if I need to clear things up. That way I'm not stressed and scrambling to be ready to be gone for awhile. And as far as avoiding bickering, Chamonix, msgleff can take her sweet time packing and there's really nothing wrong with it!

And this way, we're relaxed even before we leave.

I ,know it goes against the gospel of maximizing time away but we'll go away frequently enough we don't feel like we have to cram everything into every moment, and based on recent experience I feel like we're 'into' the trip much more quickly by starting off relaxed rather than stressed.

I say that sitting in the UA ORD F lounge about to board as the only passengers in NH F, and we're totally chill. :)

8. Waterstrider
    Original Member

Waterstrider Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me, I'm usually finishing up some last work emails on the bus to IAD so it really feels like a vacation is starting when I arrive at the airport. The familiar airport smells, sounds, procedures also indicate "trip" for me and tell me it's really happening.

9. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's better when we have time to get ready....like Wednesday we're not scheduled to leave until 2pm with no working before, so lots of time to piddle. But he'll still make me late, lol. Should cut down on the bickering though!

10. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    it depends on if the vacation is to a destination (as opposed to a stay-cation). once that airplane or train has departed is when it begins for me (reduces the cancellation factor...). if by car then it's once i have cleared the city limits.

11. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish I could say once I walk out the door, but I need time to be aggravated with traffic and airport security. Once I get past the TSA molesting "I'm on vacation".:)

12. I like the idea that it begins when I exit the workplace. However, in several Hawaii trips, Mrs. Deubster has commented, "Now the vacation begins," at the the precise moments our butts hit the sand. I always agree with Mrs. Deubster.

13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    UIG as opposed to :)?

Anyway- to answer the original question- the moment I can shut off my mobile phone my vacation starts!

14. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    It begins when I set the alarm and walk out the door. When I used to fly Int'l on UA a lot, after I'd drive over the Bay Bridge (listening to San Francisco), I'd then switch to Rhapsody in Blue, timed to finish about the time I'd get to the airport parking. Now, the music selection (after the Bay Bridge) is different, but there's no question when I'm "on vacation."

15. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like my parents. It used to drive me berserk to be around. I'm sure it's charming and endearing the way you two do it. ;)

Chamonix likes this.
  16. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha! Well, we've been together for over 20 years, so apparently there is something endearing about it. I'll let you know when I figure out just what that is. ;)

17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My vacation began the day I was born.

Punki and Chamonix like this.
  18. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Vacation begins as soon as we leave our home.

19. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first sigh of relief - "we're on our way" - is when we get through the TSA and are sitting in the lounge or boarding area. 2nd is when the plane takes off. And 3rd is when we have got the luggage into the hotel or timeshare room and sit down and finally say - "we're here".
    Like Chamonix, getting out the door gets tense -- apparently I pack slower than DH, but I say I have more to pack and to take care of in the house, more duties, before we go, so there you are.

Chamonix likes this.
  20. cheepneezy
    Original Member

cheepneezy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As soon as I smell the jet fuel at the airport.

Chamonix likes this.
  21. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, I have more to take care of before we go, for sure. I'm so used to traveling alone, when he and my daughter are coming it just throws my whole system out of whack!
    my friends kid me that "I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning" and then....they say....that's the smell of my carbon footprint, LOL! :confused:

kiwi likes this.
  22. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wheels up leaving my home airport. Before that instant I'm not certain I'm going anywhere.

23. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    me, too.

24. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    It ain't a vacation until you've been lovingly groped by a TSA employee!

25. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    When I can put up the auto-reply at work. Not that it matters... I check email the entire time anyhow, but it's somehow symbolic for me to do so. People seem to stop bothering me about trivial stuff at that point.

kiwi and 2soonold like this.