When do you buy your non-award flights?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by servo, Nov 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got $300 of AA gift cards to use, and I'm trying to use them to go MCO-LAS Mar 7-10 next year. Looking at the median fare on flightaware.com, it looks like each 1-way flight via MIA is priced around $225-235. So, it seems like this might be as good a time as any to purchase the flight for 2, and drop my 3 gift cards onto it. However, with it being still 4 months out, and a non-refundable flight (unlike WN where I could cancel and keep the funds available for 12 months after initial purchase), does it make sense to wait longer and purchase around the 6 week mark, when it's less likely that I'd have to cancel, or just do it now and pay a fee if I have to cancel/reschedule? With WN flights, it never really mattered to me when I bought the tickets if they were priced around the median, but I want to use these gift cards, and haven't flown AA in my adult life. I assume they're similar to other legacy carriers, but I'm used to avoiding those, that is until I started the credit card churning game.

2. bobolo

bobolo Member

Status Points:
    I usually wait until about 3 months before the flight unless I find a deal I can't refuse. I check the internet everyday if I am planning a trip​

servo46250 likes this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually buy tickets for my vacations 2-3 months beforehand.

servo46250 likes this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm LAS not sure when March Madness falls next year but it can be a pretty high demand period there.
    A check of TPA/LAS RT in Feb show fares around $300, In May R/T around $235
    for your desired period AA fares are $460.00

If I really plan to go I wouldnt wait around too long

servo46250 likes this.
  5. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's kinda how I was leaning. March Madness is never that early (as a die hard college bball fan, I ALWAYS take the first 2 days of the tournament off of work, and it's usually somewhere in the 15th-21st range), but it might be close enough to make your point valid, especially if months prior and after are significantly cheaper. Thanks!