When do the airline schedules open up?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Lyssa, Jan 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've finally been able to book a timeshare week to Hawaii for June 2013. Yea! Those weeks are so tough to book. So, I want to fly there using miles. I've been working on collecting miles for about a year, but haven't redeemed any yet. I have over 200,000 miles on AA, around 100,000 on BA, about 65,000 on CO/UA and 33,000 on US Airways. I'd like to fly three people to Hawaii, hopefully just on miles (my husband has about 160,000 AA miles as well).

So I'm trying to figure out when the schedules open up first of all, and what my best strategy might be. The timeshare week is on Oahu. I'd like to fly into Kona first and spend like two nights there, then fly from there to Oahu, spend the week in Oahu, then back home. This will be out of ORD. I know the saver awards to Hawaii will probably be tough to book so I'm hoping it will help if I can do it early.

TIA!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check the individual airlines and FF program rules, but 330 days in advance is common. Most T&C have wording about ticket validity being limited to one year also, including for tickets paid with money and open return tickets.

Lyssa likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The schedules will open up, at most, one year out. For some airlines it is 330 days and for others it is even shorter. But just because the schedules have opened doesn't mean that awards will. Those might or they might not. They might only show up closer to departure.

It isn't impossible given the variety of programs you have to find the flights you're looking for, even at the saver level. But earliest might not actually be best.

deant and Lyssa like this.
  4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Lyssa likes this.
  5. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will repeat what everybody already said, each airline is different and award availability shifts throughout the year.

Why not get the HA BofA and BofHA CC's. They could come in handy for inter-island flights or even mainland to HNL.

Check availabilty for your dates, it just might work out. They each have relatively low spend req of $1,000 and if you dont use them they transfer 1:2 to HHonors pts.

More miles/points couldn't hurt! Unless your credit score is hanging on by a thread.

Good Luck.

Lyssa likes this.
  6. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    My husband just applied for both of these yesterday and got approved. We kind of split up going for the cards between the two of us. My one concern is booking an award flight to HNL say on AA and then a reward flight on Hawaiian from HNL to ITO, and then having some problem with the AA flight and missing my Hawaiian flight. I just found out yesterday I should fly into ITO, not Kona, to be closer to the volcanos park.

If you book those seperately, there's no way to be covered in case your first flight is delayed, correct? It's getting more complicated by th minute . . .