When did Hilton stop offering free newspapers to Diamond guests?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by sarah.telaviv, Feb 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sarah.telaviv

sarah.telaviv Active Member

Status Points:
    My hotel is telling me that they do not have to offer daily newspapers to Diamond guests --- based on the recommendations of Hilton corporate ----- this is a franchised property -------they used to provide all guests the basic USA today here in the states. Is this true that they are not supposed to provide me with a newspaper anymore?

2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm Gold and got USA Today during the week last week.

3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    They still have them, they just don't drop them off at the rooms anymore.

I stayed in an HGI a few weeks ago and got a copy of Useless Today at the front desk.

DTWBOB

mht_flyer and B1BomberVB like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still offered but how it gets to the guests varies by property. In Asia, the practice is still early morning delivery outside the door (at Conrad Bali, they even knocked on the door to let guests know, which was quite annoying!).

5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    up to the hotels discretion

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you ever seen all the newspapers outside guest's doors in the mornings, or even still there in the afternoons when you're arriving at the hotel? Most of the properties continue to have papers in their lobbies for anyone who wants one (some of the properties we visit have WSJ, USA Today and local papers available), and probably decided not to order as many issues as previously to save some costs for the wasted papers. Small savings for the hotels but I'd guess over time it helps. Pick one up in the lobby as you check in, or as you're leaving for your day's activities.

Only difference is you won't be able to have a paper with your first cup of coffee when you awaken in the morning.

LETTERBOY and B1BomberVB like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree that there is a ton of waste, and also agree that it's sometimes nice to have a (good) newspaper with the first cup of coffee. Of course, with my iPad I have the NYT any time I want wherever I am.

I really like it when the hotel at checkin asks me if I want a paper and perhaps even offers me a choice of different papers.

vickers and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. sarah.telaviv

sarah.telaviv Active Member

Status Points:
    Again, they are telling me they don't have to provide papers, and when I come downstairs at 8:45 am at this hotel location where I stay a few months each winter in Florida! there are no more papers. At first they said they would save me one, and one of the gals still does, but the other people on duty do not. And the reservations manager tells me again that Hilton provides online newspaper access and does not have to provide a newspaper in the morning to me. So that was my question, should a Diamond who lives in Hiltons over 200 days a year, not be saved or provided with a paper every day. The other day, after 4 days in a row of no papers, they told me to buy a paper, but I don't know how long that will last. Are they supposed to get me a paper every day as part of my perk of Diamond?

9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why do you even care about the USA today? You can just read it for free on the web or smartphone with their app. Now if you were talking about a local paper because you want a little local flavor I'd be with you.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's a newspaper?

Weatherboy, vickers and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The thing they use to wrap dead fish in at the market.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually pick up my copy from the VIP Lounge's recycle bin.

Stayed at six Hiltons as a Diamond, in the last 12 weeks, and never got a paper.

14. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once in a while pick up a paper at the front desk. I don't miss it, usually I'd just stack them in my room.
    AGREE!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read Google News on my phone, and one of my sections gives me local stories.

One HH benefit I wish I would get most use out of is the free Kindle book. I have so many other things I read, I never seem to get to it within seven days.

16. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received Business Times and Straits Times for my Conrad stay (Singapore) last weekend. The papers are hung in a nice cloth bag outside the door.

17. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't get anything this past 3 nights.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

18. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could it be I booked an Executive room direct (not an upgrade)?
    I could not get into any of the Hilton / Conrad sites to check if the papers was a room benefit.
    I think the site is down for maintenance.

19. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're lucky. In my Marriott profile I specifically say I do NOT want a newspaper and they often deliver the crap to my door anyhow. Maybe I should stay at Hiltons more. ;)

MSYgirl, WilliamQ and LETTERBOY like this.
  20. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Things never go the way you want. A perfect world will be too boring right? There will not be a MP as it would be pointless since everything is perfect.

Now, personally, if I have to choose, I would rather have the opportunity to turn down, return then having to request.

Of course, this only applies to inanimate or non-food related stuff.

When I say no chilli, I meant no chilli :p

bigx0 likes this.
  21. FloridaRobert

FloridaRobert New Member

Status Points:
    Odd, I always ask NOT to receive a USA Today (I get my news via web), but they always drop one at the door anyway, so I take it to the elevator cabinet and leave it there.

22. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was a time, probably in the dark ages before the internet, mobile phones, iPads or even carrier pigeons, when, as I fondly recall, any Hilton property's guest who was a Hilton Honors member, be it Blue, Silver, Gold, or even the exalted and fantabulously rare DIAMOND, automatically received a newpaper of some description on the floor outside their room door, with a HHonors sticker on it. Sometimes they even put the paper in a plastic bag with the Hilton logo on it and hung it from the doorknob, which made it easier to find when you opened the door in your still half asleep stupor even three days later, and that kept you from tripping over the paper on the floor outside the door as you rushed out to the airport to make your 5:45 AM flight to the next Hilton where the same process was repeated ad infinitum.

Ah the good ole days....and the nights weren't bad either ! ;)

bigx0 and WilliamQ like this.
  23. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Papers to the door, as well as room service appear to be going the way of the dodo.

Lately I've stayed at the Hilton Midtown Manhattan and no paper makes it to the door, but there are a few on each floor by the elevators for early risers, and they are available in the lounge or at the bell desk.

Signing on to Hilton wifi usually lands you on some co-branded USA Today/Hilton web page that is supposed to substitute.

Overall I think its a good move. I'm sure if you asked at check-in, they would provide for a diamond.