When are new flights added?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by michael21, Apr 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey

So I'm looking for a return flight from Venice on August 29th to Chicago...Right now the only flight with one stop leaves at 6:50...Our hotel is 2 minutes away from the public water buses but they don't start until 8:00 so we either have to pay for a personal taxi (if we can even get one that early) or book a flight that has 2 stops.

So when do airlines, specifically united, add new flights?

Thanks

2. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are no specific times that flights get added to the system... However, I'd suspect that if you get creative, there are one-stop options using partners, such as Lufthansa or Swiss, via MUC, FRA, or ZRH.... such as a 10:20 am or 2:35 PM departure via FRA...

3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I looked on the united site and they have a list of flights from united partners. Are all the flights listed there? Where else would they be? How can I book those using united points?

4. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like I just went to the Swiss website and I see a flight that leaves Venice at 20:10. Is there a way I can book that flight if it doesn't show up on the united site?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you looking to book a revenue or award ticket? It makes a HUGE difference.

6. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Award.

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure I understand — are you asking when more availability might be released for award ticketing, or are you asking if additional flights might be scheduled?

Also, if you can't use the vaporetto, the bus from Piazzale Roma runs early in the morning.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So then what you're really asking is when award inventory might open up. The answer is whenever they want. Moreover, since you're looking at partner flights it is really at the discretion of the partner, not of United, to make that happen.

Last time we were in Venice we did the bus that LarryInNYC mentions. It was crazy early at 4am to get to the airport for the 6am flight, but it was also a crazy cheap fare so we did what we had to do.

If you're looking to fly in coach there is a double connect via FRA and LHR available or via PHL and CLE out there right now on united.com. If you want biz there is an afternoon option via FRA.

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can get one that early if you book it in advance. Depending on time of year, it'll run between €110-150.

I opted to stay overnight at the Hotel Plaza Mestre for my final night then took a cab to the airport. They made up a breakfast for me and everything.

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI, it doesn't run that early year round or that's what I would have done.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    When I did the bus it was Labor Day weekend, which is after when the OP needs it. From what I'm seeing there are two different services, the "express" bus that goes non-stop to the airport and line 5 which makes a couple stops.

The express bus starts at 5am and takes 20 minutes; the current schedule is valid through the end of October. http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35&view_pc=!

Line 5 appears to run starting at 4:40am except on holidays. http://www.actv.it/en/movingmainland/urbanlines.

12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the record, I would not suggest arriving in Venice on the bus, that would spoil the whole thing. But departure is such a depressing thing anyway, you might as well get it over with.