When are hotel points better than flight points

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Apr 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's say you have 120,000 UR...

Option a. Transfer to United and get 2 RT to Europe (I did this for august) and save $3000 and then spend about $1000 for an apartment or 1200 or so for hotel for a week

or

Option b. Transfer those to say marriott or Hyatt...get 4-5 nights...maybe even all 7-8 but then have to spend $3000 on flights...

In essence I would love to get the hyatt card and the 2 nights that come with it but aren't my credit inquiries better spent on airlines?

2. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hotel points are better when your housing costs are higher than your airfare costs. If the $1200 hotel/apartment is satisfactory, use the points for flights since that will save you $3,000. In your example the points are worth $.01 each for housing and $.025 each for airfare. Sometimes airfare is cheap and hotels cost a lot. That is why I keep banks of both.

3. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was typing something similar but you beat me to it - I actually first started collecting hotel points after traveling to Maui and realizing that the cost of the airfare to get out there was nothing compared to the cost of staying at the big resorts... This has evened out a little bit as airfare used to be around $600 RT and the hotels have actually come down slightly or stayed about the same from what I rememeber 8-10 years ago.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget to consider taxes and fees on the plane tickets versus resort fees, service charges, etc. not included in the hotel redemption. Consider also where you stand with respect to elite qualification for airlines and hotel chains. Redemptions normally earn no redeemable miles/points and no credits for status, but there are exceptions, such as SPG awards earning night/stay credits. Check also for cash and points/miles options and compare things like room type/wifi/breakfast/upgrades on hotels and upgrades/change fees on airline tickets.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a UA 1K, hotel points are always worth more for me because when you are top elite in your FF program and get 100% redeemable miles on every flight...and if you fly almost exclusively internationally or long-haul TRANSCON, you get so many bonus miles so fast that it makes little sense to choose miles (flight points) over hotel points whenever a promo offers both...

uggboy likes this.
  6. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, I'll pick up a hotel credit card if there's a good promo out there. I'm not really concerned with having too many credit inquiries. I'm more concerned about my overall relationship with a bank.

Having both a stash of airline and hotel points is quite helpful with trip planning. If hotels are more expensive then the flights, then using hotel points over miles makes sense to me.

uggboy likes this.
  7. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    It certainly gets more complicated once you take everything into account.

8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Simple answer -- for me Delta points are hard to use, Hilton points aren't and it's just a matter of getting good value for your points.

In the PMNW days, you could use points to get upgrades on elite heavy routes and the segments/miles for the part of your ticket paid with cash counted.

DTWBOB

9. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there is something missing here in the comparison, 5 nights at the hyatt might be an equivalent value of 500 Euro a night or 3250 in dollars, yes there are cheaper options for hotels but a nice place to saty really helps to make a trip great.
    that said we had a wopnderful time renting an apartmetn in paris for about 1000 for a week. so if points help you to take a trip that you would other wise not take then they are of great use, the best value is the one you want most

10. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think one key point to remember is to chose a card where you actually have that choice. Locking oneself into credit card that are tied to a particular hotel or airline might not be the best option. The exception to that role seems to be additional benefits that those card give. Seems that more and more the specific cards have built it benefits that would/should/could be worth the annual fee.