When a H Fare is closer to a Z fare :)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mht_flyer, Jul 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had to book a ticket to Monterrey (MTY) for next weekend for a weeks stay.

Had my corporate travel agent do their standard booking process in standard coach as usual -- happened to be a "H" fare outbound and a measly "S" on the way back.

Since my corp travel agent can't get the exit rows or good seats, after it was ticketed went over to CO account to get better seats.

Then I saw "Upgrade to First Class for as low as $26" -- I thought this was a mistake but lo and behold the "Z" fare on the outbound was only 26.14 higher than the "H" coach fare.

As any smart FF would do -- I snapped that up, now I have a Z fare on the outbound with 150% for a whole 26.00 out of my own pocket -- definitely worth it than having to be in the EUA pool.

:D

2. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    From where to Monterey? UA regionals within California usually stick it to you for these short monopoly hops. Unless you are coming from the east coast, or need the EQMs to make another status level, it might have been cheaper simply to buy the miles at a time when UA is having a sale.

Incidentally, S is usually not close the the cheapest fare, but occasionally it is. SFO-ORD-SFO had S as the lowest fare class the last time I looked, about a week ago.

3. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe OP misspoke, but he/she did say Monterrey (MTY) -- the city with the double 'r' is in Mexico,-- rather than Monterey (MRY), which is the California city.

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very true, going to Monterrey Mexico.

Going BOS-IAH-MTY

Flyer1976 and Horse like this.
  5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent deal =) I've booked an U fare where the M only cost $37.55 more so I snagged that of course...

mht_flyer likes this.
  6. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, sorry!