When 'A' and 'B' fares are actually 'H' fares

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Jul 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I know the answer to this but I wanted to check.

I've just booked a one way flight SEA-EWR-xxx. When searching on United.com the SEA-EWR flight shows up as First (A) and the EWR-xxx flight shows up as Economy (B). First class is not offered on EWR-xxx flight. When pulling up the fare rules it's actually an 'H' fare with fare code H2UPY1.

Question - will I earn the 150% PQM as United.com shows for the flights or will I earn 100% for booking an 'H' fare? I believe it's 150% but I wanted to double check. Note that the e-ticket receipt shows 'A' and 'B' as the booking classes.

What's interesting is when I select this fare I get the itinerary confirmation page with the upsell offer at top to "increase flexibility". It tells me I can increase flexibility to make the ticket refundable, include same day changes for free and earn extra PQM for $332 more. When I click on that offer it puts both flights into 'B' class and tells me that the SEA-EWR is available for instant upgrade.

Who needs a true 'B' fare when the 'H' fare actually books into A/B and I can earn the PQM for it? Oh, and my ticket that is booked as A/B is also refundable.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is one of those cases where the fare class and the booking class aren't the same. You should earn as A and B, not as H.

mht_flyer likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the case of irrops, your upgrade isn't guaranteed. If possible, you'll be accommodated in F...but this behaves differently than an "f" ticket.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    While that was the UA policy (sortof...they eventually relented on it though most agents ignored the new rules) for H-Ups the CO policy was much more customer-friendly and is the policy which survived AFAIK.

It should earn as an A fare.

snod08 likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It wasn't unfriendly per se, you were (and presumably are still) subordinate to those on actual F fares. In the case of wx irrops, there are probably few open seats in front...the F ticket is important when trying to get one.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I had more than one occasion where the UA agents looked at the fare code rather than the booking code and refused to rebook into available F seats.

As for priority when things go pear-shaped, my experiences have been that being quick to the draw is more useful than full fare.

snod08 and stephenbgarvan like this.
  7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I won't have the opportunity this time to figure it out. I've refunded the ticket as I found a DL ticket for half the cost. Sure, no purchased first class seat and no 150% PQM but half the cost is half the cost.

-RM

snod08 likes this.
  8. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is so broken.

At least in the old days, searching on ua.bomb for a first class ticket would sometimes show HUPs. It didn't warn you that "if you something goes wrong, you might not get F on the replacement flight", and it didn't offer to sell you a "guaranteed F seat" for $X more. The customer asked for first, and that's the fare UA quoted. UA should treat it like any other F ticket.

UPDATE: the CO website will show the booking code (A/F/P) -- the only way to see if you're getting an HUP/VUP/etc. is to look at the fare rules, which requires solving a CAPTCHA. IMHO, that level of opacity and inability to search for other options increases the burden on UA to honor these as "real" first tickets.

TravelerRob and tommy777 like this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And, IME today, they do. ;)

10. eap
    Original Member

eap Silver Member

Status Points:
    This old thread seems very relevant to me today.

My dirt cheap A-fare appears to be an LUP fare. My return trip has already been cancelled (due to the storm in Chicago) and I'm now booked in to L. I canfirst class if 'A' is available (there are few flights, with bad times), but cannot waitlist for it. (Instead, I am on the upgrade list as a 1K with an L fare.)

I'm pretty ticked off. I don't expect a first class ticket in case of IRROPS, but I do expect to be at the top of the waitlist, above those trying to upgrade.

To make things worse, two of the agents I have talked to said there will be no refunds as I was "correctly booked in to L class".

I must say, if this is how United treats those who buy a "first class" ticket on the website, this will be both the first and last time I ever make the mistake of doing so.

11. eap
    Original Member

eap Silver Member

Status Points:
    For pure humor, I have to point out this response from the @united twitter handle:
    https://twitter.com/united/status/561734997531709440

"""@perlman You have the option of buying a full fare first at anytime to ensure a first class seat. ^JP"""

Just... wow. Only full fare first class tickets qualify as first class? Ouch.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If there is a first class seat open they'll put you in it, right? The issue is just that the desired flights are sold out up front? If that's the case it is likely correct. Once IROPS hit getting to keep the F seat or going earlier in Y is a choice you have to make.

If there are open F seats on the desired rebooking flights and you cannot confirm into them that's a problem.

13. eap
    Original Member

eap Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends on the agent. After multiple calls, I just found one who was (successful!) at confirming me on the longer flight in A (First). The others gave me some 'all-or-nothing' line...

Is there any reason one can't waitlist for first on an earlier flight? I don't see why a *UP passenger is not ranked above others on the first-class stand-by list. Why do you fall to the regular upgrade list based on the 'L' fare? This is really my main complaint...

14. eap
    Original Member

eap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another oddity is that one must call in to keep a first class seat. All on-line rebooking options are in coach (L in my case), despite first class seats being available. This is one of those times where I am very grateful for the return of Expert mode.