Wheelchair help question

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by alpheratzsirrah, Feb 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. alpheratzsirrah

alpheratzsirrah New Member

Status Points:
    Hey all, I got a really quick question to ask.
    At the airport, who are the workers that help those in wheelchairs get to places? For example if an old man in a wheelchair needed help. What type of worker in the airport has to help out those in need? Is it general worker? I'm confused because some airport workers wear the same clothing kinda, except some wear a black garb (black jacket and pants and shoes) like the wheelchair helpers. Uh, I guess they have another job but yeah... what kind of job is it?

marycampa and MSYgirl like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. :)

This is usually handled by the airport staff. You should be able to inquire at check-in, but also check with the airline to see if the person's itinerary can be flagged for needing assistance. What airport are you flying out of where you will need to make the arrangements?

alpheratzsirrah and marycampa like this.
  3. alpheratzsirrah

alpheratzsirrah New Member

Status Points:
    Ah no, I'm not planning to do any flying. Just research on airports and their workers actually. So it's just a general airport staff member? That's the title? Can college students work at airports doing menial tasks?

4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know they are airport employees who handle the wheelchair transport to and from the gates/planes. Any legal person over 18 passing the background checks should be eligible to hold the position. The titles, job descriptions, and responsibilities can vary by airport. I would suggest calling a few of them, asking for the department that handles disabled passengers, and getting more information. You could also search for job openings for those very positions to get a better idea of the requirements/expectations/job duties.

5. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are hired by the Airport, and also trained.
    Some stand in long lines for those jobs.
    They also have many rules to follow, and a background check is required.

No real money, and they work for tips.

Used one once, really appreciated the lady.