What's Your Personal Travel Policy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by eightblack, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

If going for a new job, I carefully examine the travel policy in terms of class of travel?

Poll closed Feb 27, 2011.
  1. Yes, always. Would expect Business Class over a certain distance

50.0%
  2. No, don't care. The job is more important

27.8%
  3. Wouldn't work for the company if they didn't allow me to keep frequent flier miles

77.8%
  4. Expect a certain standard of hotel accommodation

55.6%
  5. Hotel isn't important. It's just a bed

8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you were going for a new job which required a lot of international travel - would you be influenced at all by the corporate travel policy?

I have the fortune (or misfortune) of working for myself. I get to choose the clients I work with. And because I travel a lot, I choose the airline and the class. If the client isn't ok with that, then we don't work together.

There are plenty of Fortune 500 companies now with global Y travel policies. Is yours one of them?

Travelsavant likes this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't picked an option as it depends completely on the overall package and circumstances. Very different having to fly Y in own time for a short hop versus around the world.

diver90 and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can pick your jobs just based upon that, you probably don't have to work...

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think for international, demanding C isn't too much to ask. But you could relent and accept Y on domestic trips. Then again, what am I talking about, I'm just a graduate student who works the system!

5. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    my policy is simple... travel where and in what i can afford

kiwi and FlyingFree like this.
  6. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with you. The poll answers aren't structured to make a "best fit" selection.

7. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a second, I thought you meant my travel policy for personal travel, which is somewhat different than my minimum accepted policy for work travel.

I could never go work for a company with a travel policy that makes me use a particular vendor or a particular website to manage bookings. One that doesn't understand that business travel is an annual process and not a series of transactions because status really does affect quality of work: it matters during IROPS and when you are stuck in a middle seat on a transcon.

My mini-travel policy:
    - Never buy a coach ticket if you can't confirm an aisle seat or an exit row window at ticketing, unless it's open seating like Southwest. Find another airline, or find another airport and drive.
    - Never fly a CRJ-100, CRJ-200, Dash-8, or the BC side of an ERJ-135/140/145 even to chase status. Find another airline, or find another airport and drive. (There are obviously some remote locations where it's unavoidable.. I try to avoid going there.)
    - Anything over five hours means domestic first, premium economy (like B6's 38-inch seating) or an exit row aisle, otherwise I'll change planes so I have time to walk around and rescue my back and legs
    - Anything over nine hours means business class confirmed at ticketing.
    - Minimum hotel standard is a new LaQuinta or Holiday Inn Express in the suburbs/rural areas, or a Hampton Inn/Hyatt Place in a large city. I'll bid Priceline 3.5* if available up to 55% of the price including discounting for points earned and status bennies. (So against a $90 HGI stay with free cooked breakfast, I'd bid $40.)
    - Full size car rental or midsize crossover/SUV. National if at all practical, as I like to pick out my own car to maximize headroom/legroom.

Toula likes this.
  8. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I've been fortunate in my work-related travel, being selective over a job based on Corporate Travel Policy is not a benefit most will haggle over - especially in a downturn economy. That's when the savy traveler turns to MilePoint & FlyerTalk so that even when working for "everybody flys Y" companies, you can master the FF programs to attain elite status and improve your air & ground experiences.

jw3711 likes this.
  9. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The company I was/am with was acquired last year. Most of the acquiring company's travel policies are not aligned with what I believe are reasonable expectations. Some "fly" directly in the face of "I would never..." statements I might have made in the past ( :D ). When balanced against the overall package and the new challenges and opportunities, I have learned to make peace with their travel policy in my own head, and deal with it the best I can.

10. trippin_the_rift
    Original Member

trippin_the_rift Silver Member

Status Points:
    My travel policy is easy!

2 hours of less - econ, unless premium cabin is less than 50% more than the best econ fare available.
    Over 2 hours, it's a premium cabin
    First class international reserved for holiday travel

11. No. That would be stupid.

12. kingalien
    Original Member

kingalien Silver Member

Status Points:
    My standards for work in the following order:
    1. Able to keep my miles/points earned
    2. Book my own travel
    3. Use my own credit card
    4. International travel in C

Nicole Blaess-Smith and savydog like this.
  13. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been fortunate in that when I was traveling for work it was quasi-international (DEN-YYZ/YUL/YVR) and booked usually last minute (Thursday call, Monday morning at the client site). So I was in what could loosely be called F class by default. However, I would be very hesitant to work somewhere that I couldn't keep my miles, and having stayed in one dive hotel in YUL I have managed to force some minimal hotel standards on clients.

Other than that, while I don't enjoy TATL flights in Y, I'm really not that picky.

14. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    In general you're right, especially internationally. But my belief is that a company that does not trust its employees with something as simple as choosing an airline or a hotel for a domestic trip does not trust its employees in general.

I think it's equally stupid to work for a company that doesn't trust you. Unless they're willing to throw enough money at you so that when they screw you over, it will be reasonably well lubricated.

Travelsavant likes this.
  15. roslyn

roslyn Active Member

Status Points:
    At present when traveling for work I offer a delivered cost -an all up fee for my time and travel.
    If applying for a full time job
    I would specify that I can book my own travel. I would also specify that I can be trusted to get the best deal for both me and them.

16. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would probably think twice about a position that required lots of travel but didn't let me keep the miles. That's not to say I wouldn't take the job, but if everything else were equal between two offers that would be a big downgrade for me. One of the few perks of the work travel I do now (much of which involves at least one regional jet segment each way and sometimes two) is that at least I get to use the miles for personal trips that I enjoy.

As for hotels, it depends on what "certain standard" means in the question. I probably would have real questions about a position where they expected me to stay in the Knight's Inn or Motel 6. [​IMG]

17. Agree. What on earth does that have to do with what I said?

18. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    The company that I work for requires that we use a certain travel agency because the corporate discounts show on that site.
    If a hotel or car rental company is "sold out" the site guarantees we receive one. I in no way beleive this indicates they do not trust me, rather, I see it as a timesaving factor where everything is found in one place at the best price with guaranteed availabilty. It's their money, makes sense they would negotiate well, and request that we take advantage of those negotitiations.

19. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing as far as I can tell.

20. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are also a lot of backend deals that the typical business traveler is not aware of. Soft dollar deals, overrides once a threshold has been met, the ability to move inventory to a particular vendor to meet a certain sales amount, preferred status given to execs or extreme travelers.

Its not always about trust issues but rather what hits the bottom line for your company.

sophiegirl likes this.
  21. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends on the job. My company has a global Y policy. As a rule, they pay well and expect that any upgrades are done on our own (i.e. we pay cash, you can use the cash for biz class travel...)

But I don't travel that often for business (maybe 5-6 times/year, mix of short and long haul) and I'm not very tall, so I can deal with it. And they do give me flexibility in choosing flights, so I can maximize mileage if I want, or get the best flights for scheduling, airport or other reasons.

For the most part, the job comes first. It might be different if I spent most of my time on the road.