What's your danger comfort zone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by RCyyz, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see the Sheraton in Tunisia has rooms available for a whopping 47 Euros per night. Hmm methinks ... what a good way to squeeze in a mileage run and a mattress run while taking in some sightseeing at the same time. (I'd love to go back to the Bardo Museum for example.)

Of course, one could reasonably argue that Tunisia is not exactly the best place in the world to go right now.

For me, if bullets are flying or if there's high probablity that they'll fly, I won't go. But anything less than that I'd consider. For example, if I had time (and $$$) I'd consider doing Tunisia for a few days. I spent a wonderful weekend in Paris in Oct 2001 when the world was still abuzz about that fateful day in Sept. But Iraq & Afghanistan - sorry, that's a pass for now. Even Iran is a bit iffy for me.

How about you? What's your danger comfort zone?

kiwi likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heck I won't even go to Terre Haute.[​IMG]

3. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right now I wouldn't hesitate to go to Tunisia or Egypt. They will be hurting for tourist dollars and you might get exceptional service and learn more about the actual culture than you would normally.

Bonnie and kiwi like this.
  4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure where my threshold is exactly. I haven't yet cancelled any trip, even went to Iraq not long after commercial flights recommenced.

5. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year I went to Bangkok while there was trouble, at least it was not aimed at tourists. Of course the big plus was hotels at near give away prices.

6. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been in Saudi Arabia since 2004. Safer than you think, but you still need to be careful

Bonnie and savydog like this.
  7. inukshuk
    Original Member

inukshuk Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Sheraton in North Pheonix routinely goes for $50/night. May not be quite as exotic, but slightly lower risk. [​IMG]

8. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The danger quotient seems to be stepping up in this part of the world. I was in Bahrain 2 weeks ago for a PMI conference. It was very nice and relaxed. Now it's a whole different story.

savydog likes this.
  9. I too would go to Tunisia or Egypt without a problem. I was in BKK, 1 km away for the Red Shirt fun last year. for 6 weeks. It was great seeing the fireworks and listening to gunfire most nights.

kwai and loadera like this.
  10. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    Detroit scares me and I'm from Cleveland.

piqaro and loadera like this.
  11. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would go to Tunisia or Egypt but I do speak a bit of Arabic and know Egypt pretty well. In the mid 90's, I once used a Khao San Road Press ID to get a journalist visa for Afghanistan (while I was living in Dubai) so I am pretty gutsy, though I have slowed down in my "old age". I'm waiting for Libya to be more accessible and visas easier to get as I still want to go there too.

savydog, kwai and loadera like this.
  12. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find places like Birmingham scarier than places like Yemen. Senseless violence from drunkens youths - not my cup of tea

savydog likes this.
  13. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the use of the KSR press pass. My wife and I went to Kabul and Herat in Feb, 2005 to visit friends. I friend of mine was really gutsy - after I left the Khyber Agency near Peshawar in the summer of 2005, he and the guy we were staying with got a car and driver and drove to Kabul. He has some pretty scary stories from that

savydog and Tiki like this.
  14. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually had a blast in Kabul! I ended up staying at a house with a few reporters, got invited to an Afghan wedding by the FA on Ariana Afghan airlines and taken around sightseeing by people I met at the wedding.

piqaro likes this.
  15. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's dangerous to go anywhere without 24 hour room service. [​IMG]

Mine is not a where, it's a what. I'm not a fan of cave diving or sky diving.

piqaro likes this.
  16. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was on Ariana, the flight engineer was (sitting next to me) was writing the flight plan as we flew. Then he asked my wife and I if we wanted to go and have a smoke in the cockpit[​IMG]

Tiki, AndersFT, piqaro and 1 other person like this.
  17. Camden, New Jersey !