What's worth doing off the beaten path in Rio

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by IndyDavid, Apr 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all! We're taking a long weekend in Rio in June & wanted to ask your advice on things to do. We know about the obvious stuff: Christo Redentor, Sugarloaf Mountain, the beaches, etc., and we’re staying in Santa Teresa.

But maybe you know other cute neighborhoods, delicious restaurants, fascinating daytrips, breathtaking vistas, etc.? We have limited time & really just want to relax, so a 2-day trek isn't what we're looking for, but we welcome your input regardless.

Gratefully,
    David

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a few excellent choices even with limited time.

1) if you crave some excitement go hang gliding. That gives spectacular views and is unbeatable. There is a thread here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/hang-gliding-in-rio-de-janeiro.5681/
    2) If you like gardens the Jardim Botanico should not be missed. It is one of the oldest botanical gardens in the world founded in 1808.
    [​IMG]

3) Just near the rear entrance of Jardim Botanico is restaurant Couve Flor, a food by weight place that started the whole fad in Rio 25 years ago. It is modestly priced and has good sushi also. It is packed every day at lunchtime with everyone who lives/ works in the area, including me. Their site is only in Portuguese but people there speak English and signs are in English. http://www.couveflor.com.br/o-restaurante/

There are lots of other great places in and around Rio, from 16th century monasteries to the "largest forest in the world entirely within city limits". Of course you're ride the bonde in Santa Teresa and visit Lapa also.

If you can describe your interests more specifically more information will be forthcoming.

Welcome to MilePoint. :)

excelsior likes this.
  3. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Visit the Peixoto district for a feel of Rio as it used to be

Go to the naive art museum in Flamengo theres also a modern art museum there which is very good

Walk around Leblon and find a barber in whites who will give you a haircut and a shave and generally treat you like royalty for an affordable price

Go to Niteroi for a nice quiet beach and a vista of the Cidade Maravilhoso.... and find out about Captain Biswas a young Indian (ie from India) who took part in revolutionary escapades a hundred years ago

Take a bus from Flamengo to Leblon and people watch

Shop for shoes on Avenida Nossa Senhora de Copacabana

Take a guided tour of Itamaraty Palace

Go to the Centro station at evening office closing time and watch the diversity of Cariocas bustling......then head out for a drink at one of the many lively bars in Centro (im sure jbcarioca can reommend a few)

Since you must like planes to be on this site, go to Sugarloaf at sunset and watch the aircraft come in to land at Santos Dumont airport...be sure to go to Sugarloaf at sunset and stay after, not just the usual daytime trip the view is SPECtacular

(Damn WHY am I stuck in this rathole called Brasilia!!!)

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are great ideas.

I adore Peixoto. My favorite contemporary Brazilian crime fiction writer, Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza has his hero living in Bairro Peixoto. Some of his books are available in English too.

Another option for watching planes land at SDU is a restaurant, Albamar. I will review it shortly. It is an institution, lunch only, located in a former municipal market right beside the SDU runway.

5. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    He is also my favourite!! (inspector Espinosa) Thats how I know Peixoto... I have read A window in Copacabana, and Pursuit before coming to Brazil! I need to find the Precinct where he worked and also the rArab restaurant he likes...

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Come to Rio and I'll show you all of that. My mother-in-law lives on Barata Ribeiro.

7. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be going to Rio next month. I would like to read about Captain Biswas and find out more about him when I am there. I am from the State of West Bengal in India and people with the last name "Biswas" are from the same State.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is odd that there is so little mentioned about Suresh Biswas here in Rio although he is better known in Bengal. Even googling him brings a page from Mid-Day
    http://www.mid-day.com/opinion/2008/jun/230608opinion.htm
    I first heard about him from a Bengali friend. So far I have found little about him in Rio, although the old military records should exist, as probably do his mariage records and the birth records of his two children.

BWIflyer likes this.