What's with the bag wrapping services at European airports?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by disambiguous1, Oct 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    At a number of European airports I saw these bag wrapping services, where they will take your suitcase, put it on a spinner, and wrap it in cling wrap. I can certainly see the use of it, as it would make the bag less prone to pilferage and immediately show if it had taken place. However, if said luggage was about to be put onto an airplane, I was wondering how they would get around whatever their equivalent of the TSA. IOW, is luggage in Europe subject to the same possibility of a TSA-equivalent search as in the US, or is that just a US thing?

Also, when did Milepoint become Insideflyer? Never fails, I go away for a couple of months and they change everything around. -DA1

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same way it happens in the US...if the officials want to open the bag they do so.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its not only in Europe its quite common in Latin America and has been easily available at MIA for well over a decade now.

anileze likes this.
  4. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    luggage wrapping is big business, it is standard procedure when catching a flight in Africa :eek:

TSA can be rather heavy-handed, it seems just because they can be, nothing to do with promoting overall safety :rolleyes:

Dublin_rfk, Counsellor and anileze like this.
  5. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So pretty much as I suspected. Any comments on the effectiveness of it? If anybody out there uses it, are there places where you're more prone to use it and other places where you think it's not worth it?

6. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it is a good idea in Africa + Latin America :eek:

elsewhere it seems most loading areas are monitored by CCTV and it is not major concern, some types of luggage are more susceptible to tampering as well

7. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Add the Middle East to that list as well, as I have seen it at airports in countries such as Oman.
    You will find the answer to your question here.

8. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bag wrapping has been pretty big in SE Asia since before 911 mainly due to baggage handler pilferage.