What's with the AKL to HKG Route?

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by Steven Schwartz, Apr 27, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

Last December, we had an amazing trip to Australia and New Zealand. Our return flights were AKL to HKG in Business and HKG to JFK in First.

A good friend is trying to replicate our trip next February. It seems that the Business Class seats from AKL to HKG, which were readily available for us, are totally unavailable now. I searched his dates and then started going earlier a month at a time to see if I could get a sense of when seats are released. I found absolutely none. And for this route, that sound (to me) a bit crazy.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on and what to do? Thanks.

Steve

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    You literally have to book 340+ days out for these flights. This applies to flights between Australia/HK as well now. Best to book something in Y then upgrade closer to the departure date.

Newscience, MX and uggboy like this.
  3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you got lucky? Northern winter (from about Christmas to February) is peak season for travel down under. February can be especially tough in premium cabins because busy for visitors and also the business travel is busy again after mostly shutting off during late December and January.

4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it's a bit of a pain for them but as of now, they've got Business from SYD-NRT-JFK. Of course, that means they have to add a leg to get from AKL to SYD. They will keep checking CX a few times a week. Maybe they'll get lucky but either way, they have something decent.

Thanks to all for your input.